I'm Lee Drake and am a recovering DataHolic

Moderators: Phil Winkler, Graham Smith, Pete Tabord

I'm Lee Drake and am a recovering DataHolic

Postby LeeDrake » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:27 pm

8)

I've used DataEase for DOS since version 2.1x. Though I no longer do development in DE For Dos (4.53 - the last stable version), I do still have a number of clients that continue to make that old beast limp along and run their entire business on it. My most recent success was porting the Novell 4.5 server that had been running as the DataEase data store over to a virtual machine so that we could continue to support the server even if the old hardware gave up the ghost.

I have so far failed to be won over by any of the flavors of DataX for Windows, and unless this version allows seamless conversion from DOS apps am unlikely to be won over by it either. I have been down the path of closed development efforts way too many times to do it again.

I currently do most development using .NET based tools and web, with SQL Back end. Alternatively we write VB.NET apps or Access applications with a SQL Back end. Yes - I have given myself over to the "dark side" and considering that I have more projects than I have programmers to complete them I consider this a successful transition.

In point of fact though - I do little programming myself these days since running my multi-employee company and getting new projects for my programmers and technicians to work on is my top priority. We've developed many systems and websites for companies internationally, and have built up quite a reputation in the DotNetNuke community for building website skins and modules.
-------------------------------------------------
Lee Drake, CEO
Os-Cubed.com
Making the best content managed websites and database applications in the world
LeeDrake

Postby Pete Tabord » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:30 pm

Hi Lee

Its good to hear from you anyway, even if you have gone 'over to the dark side'.

While your current development approach is the accepted one now in mainstream database application development, I think you'll accept it is based on some pretty ancient concepts. I'm certain there are enough circumstances where a C/S architecture is inappropriate to build a successful business around, and out of that I hope to develop something which will make what you are currently using look like COBOL :shock:

A number of financial organisations have listened to us and believe we have something, indeed we have been accepted on the Welsh Assembly's High Growth programme in the expectation we will exceed a £1million turnover in 3 years time (well, about two and a half years now, we've been on it a while).

As I think I've said before, there will never be a tool that allows _seamless_ conversion of _any_ DOS app to Windows - totally different environments. A so-called seamless conversion still ends up with a DOS workflow - no good. If the 4.53 apps are working well for you, leave the little beggars alone 8)

Regards
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

I AIN'T gonna argue this in a public forum....

Postby LeeDrake » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:42 pm

I'll send you an email. I'm truly interested in how things turn out for you. I have the utmost respect for you, Phil and Trina and wish you success in your venture.
-------------------------------------------------
Lee Drake, CEO
Os-Cubed.com
Making the best content managed websites and database applications in the world
LeeDrake

Return to Introduce Yourself