Simon Day & the Future

Moderators: Phil Winkler, Graham Smith, Pete Tabord

Simon Day & the Future

Postby SiDay » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:20 pm

Hi

My name is Simon Day. I used every version of DataEase from DataMaster to Netplus and like a lot of people made a good living as a contractor for over 10 years.

As the work started to dry up I moved out of IT (I bought a Hotel in Mallorca, Spain), but now I am looking to get back into it. I've never liked Access and don't want to go through the steep learning curve of C++ etc. so I am looking at Ffenics and DataEase again.

I can generate some work for myself, but does anyone here think that either skill will ever be in sufficient demand to make it possible for a contractor to make a living through them ?
SiDay

Re: Simon Day & the Future

Postby Graham Smith » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:39 pm

Welcome to the Forum, Simon.

The IT departments clamped down on end-user computing starting in the mid to late 90's and essentially drove a lot of good software out of the market. This was not just to the detriment of the companies they worked for but to the small business owners who could not afford a dedicated IT person or months of work for a simple 5 table database.

But as time has worn on, the fact that these same IT departments have consistently been unable to meet the needs of the end users has lead to a certain amount of rebellion. From what I am hearing, that is more pronounced in the UK that it is here in the US, partly due to the catastrophic failure of some systems created by programmers who knew nothing about databases.

This failure of the ability of IT to meet user demands has lead to some resurgence of end-user computing in business. Much of that is only being done with spreadsheets at this time, but it's a start.

The market is out there, the problem is in reaching it.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Re: Simon Day & the Future

Postby Adrian Jones » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:29 pm

Hi Simon,

I'm sorry -- I think I misread your posting.

Did you say you were offering to host the first Ffenics conference for free at your hotel? That's very generous of you if you were!

But seriously ... the goal for Ffenics has to be the end-user market. I imagine small entrepreneurs who use FF to build a software embodiment of their business rules, and who tend to do most of the work themselves. Very much the classic approach for many DE-DOS users, in fact.

The consultant's role will lie in supporting their efforts, by and large.

As to whether there will be enough people out there who want such help, well, it's early days for Ff. But I think Pete and Trina's business model of a lean team focused on the product and its ease of use, backed up by (at long last) decent customer support, and the efforts of the wider community, has much promise.

And maybe the current problems the world is facing will be of benefit also. The smaller business will have to be a leaner business also, so a 'simpler' tool like Ff could help them get to a useable software solution for less euros and less developers ... enhanced by the likes of us consultants, of course.
Adrian Jones

Return to Introduce Yourself