Postby Phil Winkler » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:36 pm

Who's there?
Phil Winkler
PLM Consulting, Inc.
pwinkler@plmconsulting.com
Phil Winkler

Re: Knock

Postby Fred Kingston » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:58 pm

This is the Ffenics forum. Nobody apparently...
Fred Kingston

Postby Pete Tabord » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:08 am

Certainly gone very quiet at the moment.

A lot of work we are doing at the moment is conversions of systems where the system designer/implementer is long gone - they aren't unfortunately the sort of people who actually take an interest in what Ff can do, they just want to be updated.
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Postby Fred Kingston » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:46 pm

You would do better to develop a hundred Developers to sell/develop/convert your products than convert/develop a hundred customer applications...
Fred Kingston

Postby andyclinton59 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:23 am

Hear hear Fred!

If you guys spend all your time converting applications to Ffenics, how much time is spent on actually improving Ffenics?

It is of absolutely no comfort to us that you guys have a lot of work, what we need is for the product to move forward.

I requested information about the new Core Web functionality and nobody have gotten back to me and from what I can tell on here nobody else is any the wiser either.

It is frustrating that information is not forthcoming and shots are just shot from the hip with no follow-up.
andyclinton59

Postby andyclinton59 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:15 pm

Fred Kingston wrote:This is the Ffenics forum. Nobody apparently...

... I think you got it right...
andyclinton59

Postby andyclinton59 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:42 pm

The morning after...

I have desperately tried to get some answers over the last couple of weeks due to a meeting with Head Office in the US this week where amongst other things they was going to make a decision on the way forward with Ffenics/DataEase.

I have been working on converting an old DFD system to Ffenics over the last months where one of the main goals was to get it web enabled.

We quickly ruled out WebElements as the way forward so we hoped the new Core Service could be it.

It might well be but as we couldn't get any satisfying answers/information (no information at all in fact) from Ffenics on this service it was decided yesterday to scrap the process and look at alternatives.

I haven't decided yet if this means that I will stop working with Ffenics but I will still use this occasion to thank everyone on here for the constant help and contribution.

I don'know what is going on at Ffenics but it seems to me that people are not pulling in the same direction. There is obviously a lot of users with invaluable input but to me it seems this input is neither heeded nor wanted.

I would love for a small independent software like Ffenics to make it, but I don't think that is going to happen without including the users, stepping up the tempo and moving the software into the 21st Century. It is simply to quirky and endless work around's is not functionality.

Maybe they are planning something revolutionary and fantastic that is just around the corner, but keeping the cards this close to the chest insured that it was too late for me at least.

With the best wishes for change!
andyclinton59

Postby Pete Tabord » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:47 am

Andy, the fundamental problem is a classic chicken-and-egg. We can't concentrate wholly on Ffenics/ Web development without funding, and Ffenics currently does not sell in sufficient volume to provide that funding, therefore we have to get the funding by doing FF related consultancy to build up a war chest when we can then do some development. The old model of charging was founded on the assumption that a certain percentage of customers would take out support contracts, that is no longer valid in these financially straightened times.

I personally have put all the savings I had built up prior to the last take over into this, that well is now dry.
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Return to Open Talk