Linux

Moderators: Phil Winkler, Graham Smith, Pete Tabord

Linux

Postby Barry » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:04 am

Pete

Is there any thought here to making ffenics work on linux as a desk top relational DB? I ask because there are so many gaps in what Linux is missing and a desktop RDBMS application would be one.

Here, you could be the first and possibly establish a bigger beach head than trying to nibble at the Windows world.
Thank you

Barry
Barry

Postby Pete Tabord » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:27 pm

Hi Barry

It is on the WIBLI list, but its going to need either a large investment or a great deal of Ffenics sales to make it happen. One possible route I have been made aware of is some kind of partnership with the local University, whose IT dept is heavily in to Linux, but this is still going to need a lot of money - just perhaps somewhat less than other routes :)

I'm also not prepared to let the actual database engine go open source, which may be a stumbling block. Once everyone could get the code any kind of data integrity or security would rely utterly on the discretion of all open source users - I'm not that trusting, I'm afraid.

Regards
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Re: Linux

Postby lumberjackshaw » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:47 pm

Good Day,

I know this is an old topic but there is an alternative to making Ffenics Linux compatible. I have tested Ffenics inside of WINE 1.2.2 (big fan of linux myself). The run mode seems to work fairly well. Design mode will not even start. The run-time version may not have any problems.

*DISCLAIMER* Please do not dump a production system into that environment before testing it thoroughly!

That being said, it may be more prudent to contribute to the WINE Project, http://www.winehq.org/, instead of making changes to Ffenics.

LumberJackShaw
--Josh

Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company.
-George Washington
lumberjackshaw

Return to Open Talk