Firewall and Antivirus

Moderators: Phil Winkler, Graham Smith, Pete Tabord

Firewall and Antivirus

Postby Graham Smith » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:01 pm

We have recommended and used AVG Antivirus for years, but the recent version (8) sucks. It looks as if they have merged with another company and what used to be a simple unobtrusive program is now more of an annoyance than help and definitely makes everything run slower.

Unless they have changed, we have also found Norton and McAfee to be slow and bloated and I won't let them get near any computer I own. So what's out there that people like?
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Re: Firewall and Antivirus

Postby Pete Tabord » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:13 pm

We've been trying out Avira for the same reasons - certainly seems to take up less resource.
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Postby Pete Tabord » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:55 pm

Did you find anything, Graham?
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Postby Graham Smith » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:19 pm

Been kind of busy, but I think I'm going to try Trend Micro. A lot of the reviews point out problems with how intrusive some programs can be. For example, I tried Comodo, free firewall. The ratings are very good, but you can't pass wind without it popping up a box asking if you are sure you want to let that thru. Trend Micro seems to do better in that respect.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
Graham Smith

Postby Adrian Jones » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:27 am

You could always eat less beans :)
Adrian Jones

Postby Graham Smith » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:49 pm

Based on reviews, I decided to give Trend Micro AV a try on my laptop. I am decidedly underwhelmed! Here are a few examples of why this program falls flat in my mind.

--If you run a program that it finds suspicious, it will tell you and block the program. But it gives you no option to tell it to "trust" the program. Instead, you have to open the main program and put the program on the trusted programs list, which means you have to know what program executable in what directory created the problem.

--There is a list of program exceptions that it will not scan. There is a button to remove programs from that list, but no button to add programs. That is somewhere else under a completely different section that appears unrelated.

--There is no way to exclude a directory from being scanned.

--There is a way to specify how often it does updates, but no way to specify when.

It just goes on like this - one annoyance after another. I'm trying to figure out now how to cancel my subscription and get a refund since I don't expect to continue to use this program.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
Graham Smith

Postby Nigel » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:55 am

I've started to use Avast.
http://www.avast.com
http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

It has daily updates like AVG and seems a little less fussy.
There are the usual free and paid versions.
Nigel

Postby Phil Winkler » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:22 pm

Been using Avira free for a week or so and like it. It does have annoying pop-ups to get you to buy the full version and you can't schedule when it downloads updates, but I'll bet those features are available in the retail version. Typical internet marketing technique.
Phil Winkler
PLM Consulting, Inc.
pwinkler@plmconsulting.com
Phil Winkler

Postby Pete Tabord » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:33 pm

AVG with all the current updates seems to have got some of its speed back, and if you don't do a lot of visiting of unfamiliar Internet sites you can now turn off the Internet site checker without having an annoying warning icon on the info bar. I'm now running it OK on a Win2K machine that was unworkable with the first 8.0 release.
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Postby Graham Smith » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:46 pm

I have it installed without all the site check stuff and it has gotten better. They have also fixed the issues I was having with my laptop. I still think 7.5 was better, before they added in all the "new" stuff.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
Graham Smith

Postby Pete Tabord » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:28 am

I'm still experimenting, since I'm still getting problems with AVG, especially on 'legacy' machines.

I'm going to give Avast an extended try on my home machine, since its free for home use.

But I've also found ClamWin, which is a scanner only (doesn't sit in memory all the time). I have some very old machines where even AVG 7.5 causes them to slow down significantly, and where AVG 8 is impossible. ClamWin has a scheduler and quite nice interface, and its totally free. I'll report back after a while. Because its a scanner only and doesn't do spyware or adware its not really suitable for a machine that does a lot of web browsing, but for those out there still running DFD or DFW on older machines (95/98/ME/NT) with no web activity it might be worth a look.
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Postby Graham Smith » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:37 pm

You might want to look at Comodo firewall. It is very highly rated and, once setup, should be a very good firewall. But I found that it is extremely labor intensive to get setup in the first place and not for the technically unsophisticated. I tried it on my laptop and it lasted about a week before I got sick of it's "nagging nanny" like nature.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
Graham Smith

Postby Mark Povey » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:29 pm

Phil Winkler wrote:Been using Avira free for a week or so and like it. It does have annoying pop-ups to get you to buy the full version and you can't schedule when it downloads updates, but I'll bet those features are available in the retail version. Typical internet marketing technique.

I'm running Avira on the notebook and found it to be quite a neat AV, but the dreaded nag screen! Till i found out how to turn it off. 8)

http://www.elitekiller.com/files/disable_antivir_nag.htm
Mark Povey

Postby Phil Winkler » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:49 pm

Mark, tried all that. My version of XP Pro simply doesn't have all those listed options in Properties of nvnotify.exe or in the Control Panel. They just ain't there. I'm using SP3, too.
Phil Winkler
PLM Consulting, Inc.
pwinkler@plmconsulting.com
Phil Winkler

Postby benjji » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:57 pm

clamwin on all our XP machines at work
http://www.clamwin.com/

and clamav on my Apple computers
http://www.clamav.net/

and it's FREE !

woohoo - my first post :lol: