Enjoy the ride

Discussions on the future of databases, computing , the meaning of life ........

Moderators: Phil Winkler, Graham Smith, Pete Tabord

Enjoy the ride

Postby Mark Nicholas » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:06 am

I see Ffenics as a beautiful tall ship - no motor, just sails, a rudder and the wind to propel it forward on its magnificent journey. Recently launched, fitted out with crew and provisions, hitting a bit of rough sea but riding through it well.

Historically, the vessel has suffered some war damage (it is a veteran of many campaigns) but it made it back to port and was put in dry dock for a while to be totally refitted. It has been renamed because it is now decommissioned, which means no longer is there any Admiral in the background taking battle decisions far from the front line. The Captain and his Crew are all experienced seafarers. Moreover, many of the crew have an excellent knowledge of carpentry. So there are no worries about getting the ship patched up after any storm damage that may occur.

I see my place somewhere down in the ships Galley, my job is to prepare the food for the passengers and I try to develop acceptable recipes by making the best of the provisions that have been loaded on board. I'm not responsible for ordering the provisions but I can put forward suggestions. All in all, I'm pretty content with my place down here by the warm stove. I go up on deck sometimes and am even prepared to accept the dangerous challenge of climbing the rigging to help set the sails. But I am not allowed on the bridge, so I can never get to feel what its like to steer the ship, let alone point it in the direction of my choice. But that's fair enough, I don't have the training. That is the job of my Captain and his Crew, in whom have great confidence.

We're now approaching the open sea and great waves ahead are to be expected but I'm sure this vessel will ride through any obstacles the elements may throw at it. Until such time as we reach the magical destinations we are bound for, I look forward to exploring all the nooks and crannies of this ship and enjoying the ride.

Mark
Mark Nicholas

Postby Phil Winkler » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:08 pm

Mark, that is a wonderful analogy. Nicely written, too.
Phil Winkler

Postby Pete Tabord » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:21 am

Hi Mark

All I can do is echo Phil's sentiment. Very nice analogy. Perhaps if we were to move slightly forward to the WW1 era we might suggest that we've refitted from a light battlecruiser to an aircraft carrier to cope with changing times.

Regards
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Postby Mark Nicholas » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:04 am

Quite frankly this 'aircraft carrier' idea took me by surprise and I've had to mull it over.

My basic thought was that there is a clear distinction between the Writers of the Software (i.e. those who are in charge of the vessel, who steer it and organise the delivery of on-board provisions) and those other crew members who simply make use of whatever it has to offer (i.e. Developers).

I was worried that an Aircraft Carrier would one day have Aircraft on board as Provisions and that all the Developers would want to fly these exciting things instead of staying in their rightful place as Chefs. Indeed, the duty of the Chefs (Developers) is to make the most of the Provisions on board to provide healthy nourishment to the Passengers (their Clients).

Chefs have not necessarily been trained to fly aircraft, but they are likely to want to do so if the opportunity arises and this could be dangerous.

However, recent developments to Ffenics make me feel that this bird will be able to take off, soar to high places and most importantly, be able to land safely.

I liked the environmental appeal of the pollution-free tall ship, but the concept of an aircraft carrier with Flying Chefs is truly more exciting.
Mark Nicholas
Mark Nicholas

Return to Philosophical Discussions