Attempt To 'Own' A MySQL Table

ODBC Connectivity, ELFs , Windows API etc.

Moderators: Phil Winkler, Graham Smith, Pete Tabord

Re: Attempt To 'Own' A MySQL Table

Postby Graham Smith » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:52 pm

Pete Tabord wrote:...and the only situation in which ff can now define or change the actual SQL table is if it is an ODBC link and DDL has been enabled in the driver...

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but as I have already said, I have absolutely no interesting in changing the underlying table and really think that the program is better off without that ability.

So, the question is, can the table have the ability to make some changes to the TDF without ever touching or being able to touch the underlying remote table?

Granted, this puts some limit on what can be done.
    A field cannot be removed
    A real field cannot be added
    Only limited changes can be made to the data type
But I really don't see a downside to this.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Postby Pete Tabord » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:04 pm

Well, yes, that's the idea. Well from the form, which is I think what you meant. That's what I was referring to above, but although it went out in I think 1.5 it had serious problems, so I disabled it again. Now my head is more in gear I will try to re-implement it.
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Postby Adrian Jones » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:52 am

I don't know if this helps, but I've noticed/discovered that in DfW, I can make derivation, etc, changes by just checking the 'defines form' option -- I don't need to go to the remote table Information dialog to set the 'local table defines'.

So maybe the Ff issue lies somewhere in the changes made around the defining form concept?
Adrian Jones

Postby Pete Tabord » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:46 am

The origin of the confusion goes back further than that, but yes, as mentioned above it is to do with the two seperate flags regarding ownership of the TDF and the table.

In ff, whether or not you own the TDF is the primary distinction between a form and an aspect, so the TDF related flag is still in use - remember all documents are documents, it is just the state of certain flags that distinguish between them.
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Previous

Return to Advanced