New OBDC connection problem

ODBC Connectivity, ELFs , Windows API etc.

Moderators: Phil Winkler, Graham Smith, Pete Tabord

New OBDC connection problem

Postby Bob Mechler » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:05 am

Just trying out the ODBC connection. I have sqlexpress with the instance name of bobhp\sqlpexpress and a Northwind database. I made an odbc connection as Northwind with the SQL Server drive as a System DSN. Set to SQL authorization with sa and the password. The ODBC connection is fine. When I go to the Database link inside my first app, I put in Northwind as the Link name. It puts that name in the database field. I then put in other engines via odbc and then the above named instance for the server (bobph\sqlexpress). When I click to Add it gives an error and brings up a login screen. (There is a spelling error at the top of this screen). I type in the sa username and the password and click ok. It gives another error and I have to exit. What am I doing wrong. I have the eval version.

Bob Mechler
There's got to be an easier way to do this!
Bob Mechler
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: MEMPHIS TN USA
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
 

Postby Graham Smith » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:04 pm

Both the link name and the server name should be the same - that being the named odbc connection. Also, I'm pretty sure you need to use a User DSN rather than a System DSN.

As to the choice of databases, the Northwind database uses a number of data-types that Ffenics will not be able to read as they are outside of the 'standard' data types. You would do better for test purposes if you used the Pubs database instead.

Lastly, you might also want to try using OLEDB for comparison.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
User avatar
Graham Smith
 
Posts: 2501
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:31 am
Location: Delaware, USA
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time
 

Postby Bob Mechler » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:34 am

Your suggestion worked but even though I reduced the items to be transfered to 40 records it gave me a message saying I had exceeded the eval limit. Must have been all those other system tables in the shortened Pubs database. That's ok for now
There's got to be an easier way to do this!
Bob Mechler
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: MEMPHIS TN USA
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
 
 

Return to Advanced

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest