Time format issue with mySQL

ODBC Connectivity, ELFs , Windows API etc.

Moderators: Phil Winkler, Graham Smith, Pete Tabord

Re: Time format issue with mySQL

Postby Adrian Jones » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:43 pm

Pete, some of the problems are to do with Ffenics.

In fact, really they all are. MySQL is a commonly used database -- you use it yourself on this website, for example -- so either Ffenics needs to get so that it works with mySQL, OR you need to officially say that it does not.

I am in the middle of writing a document for Geoff on this matter prior to your meeting next week.
Adrian Jones

Postby Pete Tabord » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:43 am

Adrian, you miss my point. No-one is suggesting that MySQL is not widely used, the point is that up to now it has not been used with Ffenics. It actually only got ODBC support relatively recently and does not support OLEDB, so before that no matter how popular it was we could not connect to it.

Nor have I suggested the problems you have experienced are nothing to do with Ffenics.

Since some of the problems you have reported do not occur with other platforms, it is clear that there are differences between the ODBC/MySQL combination and others that have been used such as OLEDB/MS SQL Server and OLEDB/Oracle. My own suspicion is that these problems are largely within the ODBC technology, which has both a Ffenics and a MySQL component.

A DE/FF SQL 'connect' does much more than just connect, for example it edits the default generated SQL to reflect what the server supports. In ODBC, what the server supports - and much else - is relayed via a protocol, and Ff then makes assumptions based on what it has been advised. Those assumptions will be different for every platform supported, for no two platforms have exactly the same facilities and features advised to us.
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Postby Graham Smith » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:36 pm

Not to pour gas on the fire, it has to be taken into account is that there is no such thing as a standard SQL database - that was always more myth than reality. Also, ODBC and OLEDB are translators and vary from engine to engine, so there's no real true standard there either. All this really complicates the issue, particularly for a program like Ff in which external database connectivity is just a minor component.

This is sort of my way of saying that I tend to look at external data links as being something like a singing dog. The fact that it works at all is somewhat remarkable.

The fact that Ff may work better with Oracle than with mySQL is also not that surprising since one of the early alpha testers was heavily involved with Oracle. I'm quite certain that had some impact.

What this really comes down to is this - does Ff work with mySQL? Yes, it does. How well it works is a different question. I use Ff over SQLA as a reporting tool only. But if someone were to tell me they wanted to completely front end a SQLA database with Ff, I'd have real doubts as to whether or not that would be a good idea.

Just because a dog can sing doesn't mean you're going to have it performing Aida at the Met anytime soon.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Previous

Return to Advanced