Workstation PRISM Database Engine Preferences

ODBC Connectivity, ELFs , Windows API etc.

Moderators: Phil Winkler, Graham Smith, Pete Tabord

Workstation PRISM Database Engine Preferences

Postby Graham Smith » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:06 pm

I was looking at these settings and got to wondering why these would be workstation vs database level settings. Shouldn't most of these be the same on all workstations that are accessing the same application?
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Re: Workstation PRISM Database Engine Preferences

Postby Pete Tabord » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:14 pm

That's a strange question to ask, Graham. The whole reason they are there is that they are either things that do potentially vary among different workstations, or because they are set in PRISM, not in the database (IOW, they are things that have to be decided when PRISM loads, and that is naturally before an application can be opened).

To give some example of each:

Timeouts might need to be longer on a machine with a slow connection.

Buffers - depend on how much memory you have and whether you run big reports/procedures on that w/s. No point in having 5000 sort buffers if you never do a sort.

The Network Type has to be set where PRISM resides. We now do a cross check, of course, to stop accidental logging in to a shared app with the wrong strategy.
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Postby Graham Smith » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:35 pm

I probably wasn't specific enough. I was referring to settings like Running Total, Keep Last Record, Free Subform Records, and Scan Quit Ratio. I'm just wondering out loud that if these are not set the same on all workstations, there is a potential to see different things on different computers accessing the same database. Particularly if the person doing the development and testing is using different settings than the users for some reason, or if one user "experiments" with the settings.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Postby Pete Tabord » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:18 pm

ScanQuitRatio is purely a performance setting, so it at least is harmless.

All of them are set when PRISM is started, so have to be workstation settings. I've yet to hear anyone get anything useful out of any of them, though, or indeed any noticeable difference at all.

I did do the code for the multiview buffer settings to be increased (they are all maxed out at the moment - apart from the sort buffer, which is quite a different thing) but since I've yet to ascertain if they actually do help anything in the performance line, for the time being I've left them as they were.

Regards
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Return to Advanced