PSL Exports

ODBC Connectivity, ELFs , Windows API etc.

Moderators: Phil Winkler, Graham Smith, Pete Tabord

PSL Exports

Postby Graham Smith » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:19 pm

Anyone who has used PSL (DQL) exports in DFW knows that they are not very fast. Well in Ff, they are even more not very fast. I don't know the reason, but do know that the slower the computer, the slower the export, so it may have something to do with disk access. But I may have found a solution.

I tested a RAM disk today from http://www.superspeed.com and it is blindingly fast. I used it to create a small ram disk on my laptop and redirected a very slow export to it. It finished almost before I could say, "boy that's running fast!"

After that, I bought a copy and will do some more testing. The only thing so far I don't like is that you can only install it to a specific computer. It generates some kind of key when it installs and you have to use that key to get your license number. This kind of copy protection has been used before and it's a real pain when you constantly change the setup on the computer like I do with my laptop.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Addendum...

Postby Graham Smith » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:12 pm

After installing and testing the SuperSpeed driver on my laptop (which is where I really need it right now), I decided to look around to see what else was out there. I ran across this: http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=131

This driver is based on a MS driver that has been tweaked. The main advantage would appear to be that it is free. Well, since I am (almost) always willing to try something free, I installed it onto my desktop computer for testing. There is no installation program, so it takes a bit of fiddling and it is less easy to use (you have to reboot after any changes), but in about 15 minutes I had a 12.4MB RamDisk setup and had run some tests.

I tested the same gawd-awful export that caused me to go looking for a better solution in the first place in a head to head race between my desktop and my laptop. Despite having less memory, and a slower processor, the laptop was a clear winner in the race. That means that the SuperSpeed driver is the better product. But the free driver I installed wasn't that much of a slouch when you come down to it.

I think the next test will be to change my browser temp directory to the RAM disk and see what happens. Should be interesting.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Return to Advanced