Report and Procedure Layout with Groups or Subforms

This forum is Read Only . If you feel a thread should be added to the FAQ please contact a moderator

Report and Procedure Layout with Groups or Subforms

Postby Graham Smith » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:02 pm

If you create a Report that has a Group or a Subform and accept the default layout, the labels will all appear across the top above the main record container and the group or subform container will be aligned with the fields in the main record.

If you do the same thing in a procedure and accept the default layout, the labels for the group or subform will appear inside the subform container and it will be placed below the main record container.

Both layouts have their uses but I never bothered to ask why the two were different. I just happened to notice the reason today. When the Layout dialog comes up, look in the lower right corner. The default in a report is Align, and the default in a procedure is Cascade. So, really, it's a simple matter in both Reports and Procedures to pick which version you want for your display.

This falls under the category of one of those things that I knew at one time but never really knew that I knew, if you know what I mean. It just goes to show that a few minutes of exploration and testing can often reveal some interesting things.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Re: Report and Procedure Layout with Groups or Subforms

Postby Phil Winkler » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:00 pm

What's tough is not knowing what you don't know like Don Rumsfeld postulates. :D
Phil Winkler
PLM Consulting, Inc.
pwinkler@plmconsulting.com
Phil Winkler

Return to Ffenics FAQ