DFW & Ffenics temp files

Questions and Answers about DataEase for Windows

DFW & Ffenics temp files

Postby Stewart Allen » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:16 am

Does this topic in the DE DOS forum also apply for DFW & Ffenics on Terminal server?

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1256
Stewart Allen

Re: DFW & Ffenics temp files

Postby Graham Smith » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:41 pm

For DfW 6.x, the temp directory is set in the Preferences. In DfW 7.x and Ff, it is set in a workstation INI file, and there is only one such file on TS. However, if you do as is suggested in one post and make it a drive letter which can be mapped on a user by user basis, then it will work regardless of database version.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Postby Stewart Allen » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:07 pm

Hi Graham

As always you're spot on, but i was not explaining my question correctly.

I was wondering if it is preferable or absolutely necessary to have a separate temp folder for each user for DFW & Ffenics.
For some reason this penny never really dropped until i saw the DE-DOS post.

Whatever the case i have now applied this on our TS - even if DE can handle multiple users with one temp folder, it should be better to keep user temp files separate.
It may actually even solve a problem that we have always thought was par for the course for DE - specific high usage table inconsistencies occur once every couple of weeks or months. :idea:

I just applied a slight variation on Gordon's excellent solution:

Code: Select all
if exist %1\temp\%CLIENTNAME%%2 del %1\temp\%CLIENTNAME%%2 /F /Q /S
if not exist %1\temp\%CLIENTNAME%%2 mkdir %1\temp\%CLIENTNAME%%2
if not exist T:\xappx.cfg subst T: %1\temp\%CLIENTNAME%%2
if not exist %1\temp\%CLIENTNAME%%2\xappx.cfg xcopy %1\APPFOLDER\xappx.cfg %1\temp\%CLIENTNAME%%2\*.*

-- where xappx.cfg is a file used by the app on logon to test if the temp folder exists and is writable by the specific user logging in
Stewart Allen

Postby Graham Smith » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:19 pm

The value is a bit debatable, but the more users you have the more difference it will potentially make.

The big issue on a network was to keep the temp files locally rather than having them go to the network because that meant moving the data across the network to the workstation, then sending the temp files back to the server, then read them back again -- too much network traffic being generated.

For TS, the temp drive is always going to be "local" so I'm not sure it makes as much difference on TS as it does in a network setting.

One thing remains the same, regardless of where the temp files go, you will be well served by some nightly housekeeping that includes getting rid of these because there will always be some left about.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Return to DataEase for Windows