UAC?

Questions and Answers about DataEase for Windows

UAC?

Postby Stewart Allen » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:28 am

Does anyone have a very good sledgehammer for Win 7 UAC?
.... i.e. something that will destroy it completely. :twisted:

UAC seems to be the most serious issue with DE 6.52
DE is not aware of this control and consequently unexpected errors occur when editing tables. Unfortunately because DE does not know what UAC is there is no notification or error message - only unexpected save failures or crashes.

Only reason why it appears to be UAC is because of application folder permissions.

If the PC is restarted and the app is not accessed with DE then i can delete the application folder.

If the app is opened and then exited - then i cannot delete the folder - gives the "You need permission ...... " dialogue
(DE is closed and no other folders or apps are accessing any files in the folder)

Turned 'off' UAC in control panel, tried all the 'solutions' on the web for Administrator rights, Full Control file permissions and registry settings
None of these 'solutions' work.
Stewart Allen

Re: UAC?

Postby John Middleton » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:19 pm

Stewart

Always run DE as an administrator (not the chief administrator obviously, but a suitable nominated Indian)

Don’t disable UAC globally but use Local Policies / Security Options (this takes precedence over CP settings anyway, you see) and change the Security ComboBox to ‘Elevate without Prompting’

John
ShopEase
John Middleton

Postby Phil Winkler » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:07 pm

It is amazing how complex those UAC rules are and how difficult it is to figure out WTF they are saying when you click Explain.
Phil Winkler
PLM Consulting, Inc.
pwinkler@plmconsulting.com
Phil Winkler

Postby Stewart Allen » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:49 pm

Found out what was causing the problem.
When setup on the terminal server the DE App login command file includes scripts to create a unique folder for each user which is then substituted as T:\ for the user session.
i.e. DE always sees the temp folder as T:\ but each user temp folder is a different location.

For testing on Win 7 the appfolder was just copied over - including all the unique user session folders.
Despite changing permissions assignment with selection of the option to apply to subfolders, UAC did not like removing the subfolders when delete was requested on the App parent folder.
I had to delete each subfolder separately.

Once this was done, even with new subfolders being created (on Win 7), it was then happy.
Somehow the access permissions for the subfolders created by a specific user logon on the Terminal Server was maintained even after copy to Win 7 and attempts to update access rights.
Stewart Allen

Return to DataEase for Windows