OLEDB Error

Questions and Answers about DataEase for Windows

OLEDB Error

Postby PeterB » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:32 pm

A client has provided me with the following description of an error he gets when trying to use OLEDB with PHP:-

The following error message we get when using the system on a Windows XP machine (fully patched)

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'com_exception' with message '<b>Source:</b> Oleprism.PRISMTerminal.70<br/><b>Description:</b> A gateway library is not initialized' in C:\Work\PB-Wired\clone\test.php:3 Stack trace: #0 C:\Work\PB-Wired\clone\test.php(3): com->Open('Provider=CWAOLE...') #1 {main} thrown in C:\Work\PB-Wired\clone\test.php on line 3

Further information below: -

OLEDB driver on XP
and also on Windows7
We are trying to read a Dataease 7.2.3.947 table using PHP (Note this is a trial version downloaded yesterday)
driver installed as per their own installation batch file
We have tried both the old and new versions

When using the older OLEDB Driver
Source: Sapphire DataEase OLE DB Provider, we got the following error: -

Error: Unable to open Repository. Gateway Error: Invalid procedure call or argument

Has anyone any ideas what the problem might be (They are happy to supply further information if required)?
PeterB

Re: OLEDB Error

Postby Phil Winkler » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:10 pm

Peter, you really ought to steer this one to Dataease itself. I'm not sure anyone here uses version 7 at all.

And, good luck.
Phil Winkler
PLM Consulting, Inc.
pwinkler@plmconsulting.com
Phil Winkler

Postby Adrian Jones » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:09 am

Trial version of what? DataEase?

I think you'll be out of luck with getting info from Sapphire. There are very few postings on their forum, and a lot of those seem to go unanswered.

If you're starting out with this enquiry (i.e. if you have just downloaded a trial version), why not pursue this in Ffenics? At least you might get some help and some alternatives to help you achieve whatever you are trying to do.
Adrian Jones

Postby Graham Smith » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:35 pm

PeterB wrote:We are trying to read a Dataease 7.2.3.947 table using PHP

This would appear to be an error in the Sapphire driver. You will probably have to take this to Sapphire as no one here is using anything like this.

In all honesty, trying to connect to a DataEase database with an external program is not an easy thing to do under the best circumstances. I've never had any real luck doing it and when I did (with 6.52) I found that I could only use it for some limited reporting. I'm actually astounded that Sapphire is still shipping that driver. They should have dropped it several versions back.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Postby Pete Tabord » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:15 am

I thought they _had_ dropped the OLEDB-to-DataEase driver in Version 7. (As opposed to the DataEase-to-OLEDB one). But I haven't seen De7 in 4 years, so I don't know.
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Postby Graham Smith » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:30 pm

I'm rather wondering if this is part of their Gen3 project which is supposed to be web based. If so, it does not bode well.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Postby PeterB » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:43 pm

Just a note to inform you of the outcome - The client reverted to 6.52 and was able to do what he needed to, which as I understand it was minimal. It also begs the question of exactly what he was doing in either version.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions, especially the one from Graham concerning what is possible when you actually do get connected - Very pertinent for another client at this moment!
PeterB

Return to DataEase for Windows