Listing Relationships

Questions and Answers about DataEase for Windows

Listing Relationships

Postby PeterB » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:24 am

Does anyone know of a way to obtain a listing of the relationships, the forms and fields used and the relationship names, in a V7.2 database? I can obviously look at the relationships on screen and can sort them as I like, but I need it on hard copy.
PeterB

Re: Listing Relationships

Postby Adrian Jones » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:48 am

Well, you can print directly from that on-screen listing, for a start.

Relationships can be used in a number of ways, not just in field derivations. But if that is your main focus here, you can look to the Application -- status forms, which store meta-data about your app.

These are not populated automatically, but are if you view one of them, or if you choose the refresh option. You may or may not encounter issues during this process.

Once populated, you can write a procedure script against the system forms involved -- Relationships, and $DeStat_BRLInfo$ in the case of where your field derivation information is stored.

If you can't see these in the procedure lists, make sure that Application Preferences has 'show system tables' checked.

Now the fun begins, where you try to work out if a given field uses a relationship. Maybe someone else (like Graham) has this code to go, or maybe you feel confident enough to be able to work it out yourself.

If you can wait a day I could probably post up a rough guide tomorrow.

For others reading this, its pretty much the same in Ffenics, except that Ff has much more sensibly-named meta-data tables (e.g. $DerivationInfo$).
Adrian Jones

Postby Graham Smith » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:24 pm

There is no meta-data table like $DerivationInfo$ for relationships but they are easily available via a procedure by using the System Relationships table. Just make sure that you check Show System Forms in Preferences so you can see that table.

Bear in mind that if you are using this to look to see all the relationships for a particular form, that form can appear on either side of the relationship so you may have some trouble finding things.

So the bigger question is, what are you trying to accomplish with this list? If you could specify what information you are looking for, perhaps we can give you a better answer. In the 25 or so years I've been working with this product line, I have only found a need to create a printed relationship list once - and that was for purposes of documenting an application for someone who was converting to SQL.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Postby PeterB » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:57 pm

Hello Graham - Thanks for that!

I have done this many time in DFD, but could not remember doing so in DFW, so I was looking at what details were held in the $De tables, rather than looking any further.

I have only needed a hard copy of the relationships once myself before this, where a customer who insisted on writing his own system (He was a one man company) had over 500 tables and 1500 procedures and had exceeded the normal limits for Relationships and I was trying to pare them down.
PeterB

Postby Adrian Jones » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:38 pm

There is no limits as such for relationships in DE-Ff. That's a DOS problem, not a windows one.
Adrian Jones

Return to DataEase for Windows