Copy record then paste individual fields in new record?

Questions and Answers about DataEase for Windows

Copy record then paste individual fields in new record?

Postby greatputon » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:16 pm

Hi everyone,

I can't seem to find any answer to this question online, so I thought I'd go ahead and ask it here.

We are using DataEase For Windows 8. We recently upgraded from a very old version of DFD.

Here's my question.

In DFD, we used to be able to hit Shift+F2 which copied all of the data in the record.
Then create a new blank record and instead of pasting the entire data from the record we just copied, we could hit Shift+F6 in any individual field/cell and paste the information copied from that particular field/cell only.

We can't figure out a way to do this in the Windows version of Dataease.....does anyone know of a way to do this?
You can copy the entire data from the current record and then paste all of the data, but we would love to find out how to paste only the particular fields we want in each case like we did with DFD.

Thanks for your help
Jason
greatputon

Re: Copy record then paste individual fields in new record?

Postby Graham Smith » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:48 pm

Support in this forum for DfW pretty much ended with version 6 when the developers and owners parted company and Ffenics was created. So any answer you get may or may not be applicable for version 7 or 8. The current owners have their own support forum and that should be the first place you look to for advice.

That said, I'm not sure if the ability still exists but if it does, then [F2] probably would not be the keystroke you need. Check in the pulldown Edit menu and see if it's listed there, it may be Shift + [F2] and Shift + [F6].
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Postby andyclinton59 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:51 pm

I just tested this and it works exactly as in DataEase for DOS.

Shift-F2 never copied the record but saved the Default Form. This means that you can in fact save the default form and then close DataEase for 10 years and when you open it again you will have the same Default Form.

Copy Record in DFW is not the same (that simply copies the record to Clipboard) but Shift-F2 (Save Default Values) is.

So when you have saved the Default Values you can then pick them out of the Saved values as a whole (Shift-F5) or field by field with Shift F6.

This is the same in Ffenics by the way.
andyclinton59

Postby Adrian Jones » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:50 am

There is copy record and copy special available from the edit menu, and you can paste the data into a new record.

As well as anywhere else ...
Adrian Jones

Return to DataEase for Windows