Running DE 6.52 in Windows 7

Questions and Answers about DataEase for Windows

Running DE 6.52 in Windows 7

Postby Graham Smith » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:19 pm

I don't have Windows 7 yet but do have the RC build installed as dual-boot. I had checked to see if DFW would run under a beta version and it seemed to be OK, but I can't get it to run under this version. The error refers to DE_VOBJECT@HasValue$qv.

If anyone actually has this combination running, please let me know as I would like to know that someone has this running before I spend a lot of time researching this.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Re: Running DE 6.52 in Windows 7

Postby Graham Smith » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:14 pm

It's not looking too good. With the exception of setting up and running the WinXP compatibility mode software (essentially a virtual pc within Win7), I have yet to get DE6.52 running under Win7 on my dual boot computer. If anyone wants to try this, let us know how it works.

A quick check on the DataEase website reveals that I am not alone in having this problem. Needless to say, if this is not simply a matter of settings, then DE6.52 is pretty much at the end of it's run.

I rather expect that this is due to some dll incompatibility. DE6.52 is a 16 bit app compiled with an old Borland compiler which was out of date with WinXP. If so, then the only solution will be an upgrade to DFW7 (which I have not tested under Win7) or Ffenics (which I have tested).
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
Graham Smith

Postby Stewart Allen » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:49 am

Hi Graham

If this is truly an issue then this may also imply a problem with Windows 2008 server?
Stewart Allen

Postby Graham Smith » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:03 pm

Stewart,

I assume you mean running it under TS since this only effects the computer the application is running on as opposed to the server where the data resides. The answer is, I have no firm idea. If someone were to put a gun to my head I'd guess no because DFW runs under Vista and Server 2008 is closer to Vista than to Win7 - on the other hand, I expected it to work with Win7.

If this problem is due to the fact that DFW used to be compiled using an old set of Borland libraries, it's highly likely that this will not remain confined to Win7. It also not as if this was totally unexpected as there were real concerns that 6.52 was going to have problems with Vista, which is one of the things that drove the creation of version 7 using a new Microsoft compiler and new libraries.

But this also goes to show how important complete testing is. I'm pretty sure that I tested DFW6.52 under a beta version of Win7 running in a VirtualPC, but what I have installed now is the final RC version on it's own partition.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
Graham Smith

Postby Phil Winkler » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:39 pm

I installed Windows 7 Home Premium on my laptop and can confirm I get the same error about an entry point in @DE_VOBJECT@HasValue$qv could not be located in the devobj.dll when opening 6.52.

I'm sure there is someone that knows what that means. :)
Phil Winkler
PLM Consulting, Inc.
pwinkler@plmconsulting.com
Phil Winkler

Postby Graham Smith » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:55 pm

It's now official, according to the http://www.dataease.com/bugs list, DFW 6.52 will not run in Windows 7. And while I have not tested this, it seems unlikely that prior versions of DFW will either. I check on it and post if this turns out not to be the case.

So, anyone with any version of DFW should start thinking to the future. You will eventually need to upgrade to DFW7 or Ffenics or move to some unrelated product.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
Graham Smith

Postby Graham Smith » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:53 pm

And so it begins...
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
Graham Smith

Postby Adrian Jones » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:56 pm

See my posting elsewhere about this.

I just checked the statement from Ulrich on the dataease site. Apart from the fact that they have no interest for 6.52 to work under Win 7 anyway (so they would say that, wouldn't they), I'm curious on a completely different matter about the bug reporter -- Kevin Moskovitz.

Any relation to our friend Rick?
Adrian Jones

Postby Graham Smith » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:15 pm

Adrian Jones wrote:Any relation to our friend Rick?

A distant cousin. I'll send you some information.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
Graham Smith

Postby Graham Smith » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:29 pm

Here is where things stand on this right now. This is looking to be a classic DLL-Hell situation. Windows 7 has a DLL of the same name (DEVOBJ.DLL) in the System32 directory and it would appear that DFW is opening the Win7 version in preference to the one in it's own directory and failing because of it.

I have Win7 on a dual boot and here is what I have tried:
--Changed the Compatiblity Mode to Win95, Win98, Win2K, and WinXP
--Checked and unchecked all the other options
--Made the startup directory the DFW directory and the app directory
--Created a cmd file to start DFW and modified the path within that to include the DFW directory

Two things I won't try:
--Rename the System32 version
--Modify the system path to put DFW first
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
Graham Smith

Postby Phil Winkler » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:47 pm

Placing the DE dll in the data dir and making it the start dir has no benefit either.
Phil Winkler
PLM Consulting, Inc.
pwinkler@plmconsulting.com
Phil Winkler

Postby Adrian Jones » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:35 am

If it is possible to rename/remove the windows DLL without win7 tumbling down, then that might prove that the new Win7 DLL is the issue. It might not solve the problem, but it might show that, but for this DLL, 6.52 runs ok on Win 7.

Ultimately, though, we're going to need to get 6.52 to stop looking in the 'wrong' place. Ideas, anyone?
Adrian Jones

Postby Graham Smith » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:16 pm

The DLL is a system file and is completely locked down. You cannot delete, rename, or move it.

http://www.win7dll.info/devobj_dll.html
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
Graham Smith

Postby John Middleton » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:37 pm

I have a few random notes, to add to this discussion, although I’ve not yet stumbled on the complete solution.

It is possible to redirect dlls in 7 using the old Windoze 2000 method of dot local eg. Dataease.exe becomes dataease.exe.local and DE65 becomes DE65.local

Windows 7 can then be forced into the redirection by changing the DevOverrideEnable key in the Registry.
(thereby ignoring the manifest and reserved dll names)

This would appear to work OK, by simply clicking the exe icon itself, but the more usual method of opening DE via a batch or cmd to locate the .OVL files etc. - is a non starter - as is accessing the network appli-cation?????

More anon!

John
ShopEase
John Middleton

Postby JoeyHuman » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:28 am

:shock: John I would so appreciate it if you can come up with a solution, but the DE65 system that is presenting the problem is often run in a small network environment. Is that going to cause additional problems?
Joey Human
Database Consultant
Krugersdorp, South Africa
JoeyHuman

Next

Return to DataEase for Windows