Running DE 6.52 in Windows 7

Questions and Answers about DataEase for Windows

Re: Running DE 6.52 in Windows 7

Postby Stewart Allen » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:03 pm

Good question, Phil.

The existing 2003 server is way past it's original service contract and replacement was required by policies out of my control.

I proposed installation of Win 2003 server on the new hardware but this was not welcomed.

I assume the SMB2 -> SMB1 change is only relevant if using a standard network client/server setup?

We are exclusively running Terminal services sessions (or as they now call it: Remote Desktop Services) - so all DE use is effectively local.
Stewart Allen

Postby Fred Kingston » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:23 pm

I think what seems to be confusing is.. You typically run Dataease on the workstations.. NOT on the server. The Server only acts as a central repository for the data files.. The only time you run it on the server is in a Citrix/type configuration whereby folks are externally logging onto the server..

I've not been aware of any extreme issues with using any Windows servers as file servers.. and running DataEase on workstations..

Maybe you can shed some light on exactly where DataEase is running, and where the data is being stored/served from???

Okay.. never mind.. I see you edited the previous post with additional info..
Fred Kingston

Postby Phil Winkler » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:15 pm

I see. We also have a client running Ffenics in this way with no problems so far. We'll soon have another with 150 users+ and it should be interesting. Heck, they're doing it now using 4.53 if you can believe.

Another has moved everything to VMWare: EDI server, DataEase 5.17 and Citrix, too.
Phil Winkler
PLM Consulting, Inc.
pwinkler@plmconsulting.com
Phil Winkler

Postby Fred Kingston » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:23 pm

How much RAM are they running on that server??? :shock:
Fred Kingston

Postby Phil Winkler » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:22 pm

No idea, but the users aren't on at the same time and there are occasional "issues" with the VPN. This system has been running almost 20 years and manages hundreds of projects. I've really lost track of all this stuff.
Phil Winkler
PLM Consulting, Inc.
Phil Winkler

Postby Stewart Allen » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:12 am

Phil

What benefits for DFD do they have with VMWare?

The new server solution includes Hyper-V and we have a lot of promises that this could provide many benefits as regards system support and fallover recovery.
Exactly how or if this will work with DE i do not know...
Stewart Allen

Postby Phil Winkler » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:56 pm

Stewart, as i understand it this will isolate all our operating software, including DFD. from changes in the OS that M$ forces down everyone's throat. I sort of wish I knew more about it, but I trust Jonathan, the network guy, completely. They did thorough testing before pulling the switch this past weekend and that only took about 30 min. since they had done excellent preparation and planning.
Phil Winkler
PLM Consulting, Inc.
Phil Winkler

Postby Stewart Allen » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:35 pm

Some anomalies found with Win 7 & DE 6.52

- Table size limits (64bit)
Be careful with table sizes reaching the 2.1GB limit. It does not give an error when adding records in a table that has reached it's limit size.
After exit and re-enter the table will then be reported as inconsistent .... and this is where the big problem is. Re-organizing truncates the complete table...

- using multiple sessions for develpment (32bit)
When using two separate access sessions for development - eg user 1 is designer, user 2 is normal user access for testing - any table edits on the designer access session cannot be immediately tested in the user access session. Only users logging in after the table was edited can open any forms for the respective table.
Stewart Allen

Previous

Return to DataEase for Windows