Label Printing

Questions and Answers about DataEase for Windows

Label Printing

Postby Garry Flanigan » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:03 am

A client has a new Brother QL-580N label printer that prints one label wide in landscape orientation.
No matter what I try, it will only print in portrait orientaion. Every attempt in landscape produces a margins error, even though they are set to the correct values.
I can do a Word merge that does print the label as required but the client seees it as slow and cumbersome (and I agree).
I have had problems in the past with label printers and only managed once to get it to work with a more "standard" windows print driver so am not that optimistic that there is a solution. However, I want to try every possible option before accepting defeat.
Garry
Garry Flanigan

Re: Label Printing

Postby Adrian Jones » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:27 am

Hi Gary,

Do you mean that you want the output to hit the label vertically?

If not, if you just need to get the text to fit the space the label allows, then adjust the size of the page. In the print options for the document you can set up the size of the paper you are printing to.

Make sense?
Adrian Jones

Postby Graham Smith » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:38 pm

I tried the same thing using a Dymo label printer and had the same problem. FWIW, I had the same problem from a number of different applications. There is an advantage to using Word for labels because it has it's own built in custom printing - it doesn't use the generic print interface.

I don't know about the Brother, but the Dymo has it's own print program which can import and print from a CSV file. You should be able to export the records then use ShellExecuteA to open the Dymo software for printing.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Postby Garry Flanigan » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:23 pm

Adrian,
I can print but in portrait, ie label seen as 29mm wide and 90mm high.
No, text not vertical, where vertical is one letter below the other, eg.

T
E
S
T

Graham,
It sounds like the Brother is like your Dymo. I had this problem years ago with a printer but cannot remmeber the printer brand.
Having thought about it further, I will suggest to client that I can copy label text to clipboard ready to paste into Word and run the "addin" to print the label.

Thanks to all for comments.

Garry
Garry Flanigan

Postby Garry Flanigan » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:16 am

My Client is happy with pasting the label text into Word, but now I have hit a snag. The data is for an address label, but how do I insert a CRLF after each line of text so, for example, I will end up with:

Mr Homer Simpson
50 Smith St
Springfield Missouri

I tried keystrokes("_enter") to separate the lines but it did not work. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
Garry
Garry Flanigan

Postby Adrian Jones » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:01 pm

So you re just talking about redefining the page size.

i assume you have played with the print options, and that this error msg is a dfw-generated one, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

I have been able to send out label data to an obstinate label printer ... but it was a while ago, so I can't remember all the details. A zebra printer in this instance, I think. I'll have to track down a copy of the app from somewhere to see if that gives the answer, but I dimly recall that maybe the DfW page size was irrelevant (just had to be big enough to get rid of the margin error msg you are seeing -- which I assume is a DfW error). Instead, I think we had to calibrate the printer so that the page feed was in synch.

Of course, our solution may have been just one that fitted with the zeba printer. It was definitely a struggle to find, and not an obvious one either.

Just found a zipped copy of the app in question; let's see if I can find the actual routine!

Taken a look and can't work it out -- becuase the app is actually 5.5, and therefore not storing the printer name in the description -- which is the actual routine(s) to check. But I seem to remember we worked things out by creating a dfw label of the size that did not produce this margin error, and then sent it to the printer to see what happened. And probably spent ages reading through the printer manual looking for clues.

May even have involved using Lawrence fox's wizprint cdf library...
Adrian Jones

Postby Stewart Allen » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:14 pm

Gary

Use TextOutLn() to a .txt file that you then open as part of the label 'print' proc.

This can then be copied with Ctrl+A & Ctrl+C and pasted into Word.
Stewart Allen

Postby Graham Smith » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:38 pm

If you don't want to do the export, import route but want to be able to copy the address from the screen, here is a solution. This is all rather complicated so bear with me for a few minutes.

Lets assume you have an address block that consists of Name, Address, City, State, Zip. You want to be able to copy that block and paste it somewhere else. To do this, you will need to put a CR (ASCII Decimal 13) between each field.

If you have not already done this, there is a CDF that ships with DFW named STRFUNC.DLL . This contains a function named CONVERT which will convert a decimal (ascii) value to a character and vice versa. This is what will supply the CR. You will also need to have installed CDFS2 which contains a function to copy text to the clipboard.

On your form, create a button with a script on the Clicked event that contains the following:
Code: Select all
number n := SetClipText(concat(Name, convert("n13"), Address, convert("n13"), City, ", ", State, Zip)) .

When you click this button, it will copy the address block to the clipboard which you can then paste into the label program.

If you really want to spiff this up, you can use ShellExecuteA to open the label program after copying the address to the clipboard.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Postby Garry Flanigan » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:47 pm

Graham,
convert("n13") is exactly what I needed.

Adrian,
When I am on-site I will try your suggestion.

Stewart,
Your solution will work but CopyToClip() is much simpler.

Thank you all for your assistance.
Garry
Garry Flanigan

Postby benjji » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:44 am

bump......

We have just bought a new address label printer - a Brother QL580N
and it won't print in landscape format :(

was this ever fixed by Garry (withour using the convert cdf
and without shelling out to the Brother P-touch software

all i want is to press a button , and have a label printed !
benjji

Return to DataEase for Windows