Control procedure suddenly taking an age to get going

Questions and Answers about DataEase for DOS

Control procedure suddenly taking an age to get going

Postby JohnBaldwin » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:37 pm

I have a control procedure which has worked perfectly satisfacorily for probably in excess of 8 years and which reads data from a 'named file' and then calls a number of other procedures to process the data from that file.

In the past few weeks, whereas in the past it had 'started executing immediately', it has suddenly started taking ages (and today I measured it as something like 2 mins+) to 'get going'.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem (IOW: is this a Windoze 7 problem which has just appeared for some reason, is it possibly an very full mailbox) or should I look to see whether some of the changes that I (continually) make to the forms used have been injudicious?

Any relevant comment or help would be much appreciated, please.
John Baldwin (029 2055 4457)
JohnBaldwin

Re: Control procedure suddenly taking an age to get going

Postby Fred Kingston » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:56 pm

What is the procedure doing John... and why does it involve a mailbox?
Fred Kingston

Postby JohnBaldwin » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:42 pm

Fred: I'm "clutching at straws" when I talk about fairly full mailboxes (I use gmail to 'hold the mail' and Outlook to read and write mails) and I readily admit that I think it's highly unlikely to have been root cause of the observed change in behavio(u)r of the control procedure. The DfD procedures involved do NOT read/write any of the mailbox files, but I notice that the local disc appears to be in virtual constant use of this new 2 minute 'unresponsive period'.

To say even succinctly what the procedure is doing would take an essay, but I'll do my best to summarise:

1. Reads from a 'summary form' the id of the input file to be processed. - it is of the format C:\nnnnnnnn.txt where the value nnnnnnnn is incremented by 1 each time the control procedure is executed.

2. That input file comprises m records of (effectively csv) data which are imported into a holding form and compared against values already held in the database. (These are actually values which define the characteristics of one or more church bells at a particular place, such as its weight, its pitch expressed as a strike note value in Hz, its diameter, its date of casting, the bellfounder who made it, etc, and the purpose of the exercise is for me to be able to "vet" suggested additions / changes posited by 'a field worker' as to the likely accuracy of what is offered, eg, I would reject a suggested date for a bell, of hitherto 'unknown' casting date, by a founder outside his known casting period. We have nearly 50,000 bell records, 1,000 bell founders on file already. We also have an approximate correlation between diameter and weight and note, but they are not sufficiently precise relationships for them to be ablt to be expressed mathematically.) On looking at the submitted data I can then either decide whether to 'accept' the suggested additions / changes into the relevant form or 'reject them', and at the same time build an audit file of what was changed, when, and as a result of which particular submitted file.

You DID ask - and I trust that gives sufficient of an overview to appreciate that there are a number of DfD procedures necessary to cope with each part of the process.

What I am more concerned to learn is just whether others have experienced any sudden change in behavio(u)r of hitherto 'working' DfD apps.

I am confident that I am not alone (when building a complex database) in saying that the app is constantly evolving and that additional fields (and subforms) get added as we better understand what it is we are trying to achieve and just how to do it. Although you will not obviously see the DfD involvement, you can look at the internet presentation by going to:

http://www.dove.cccbr.org.uk

and looking at / searching for my 'home tower' of Llandaff.

Hope I've not bored you stiff ... but you DID ask!
JohnBaldwin

Postby Fred Kingston » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:58 pm

1. Reads from a 'summary form' the id of the input file to be processed. - it is of the format C:\nnnnnnnn.txt where the value nnnnnnnn is incremented by 1 each time the control procedure is executed.

How many of these files are in the directory that this is happening in??? How many files in the directory total... summary files and otherwise?
Fred Kingston

Postby Phil Winkler » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:45 pm

Win7 does not like writing to files in the root dir of any drive.

Also, ensure your AV software is excluding these files.
Phil Winkler
PLM Consulting, Inc.
pwinkler@plmconsulting.com
Phil Winkler

Postby JohnBaldwin » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:24 pm

Win7 does not like writing to files in the root dir of any drive.

Please, Phil, I just do not understand this. What is so special about a root directory (and why has this only recently become 'an issue')?

Actually I do not have a lot of these files permanently in the root directory: they are there simply for the convenience of the short-term processing of them and then filed away in the depths of the filing system ... but there are over 10,000 of them (but in folders of 1000 at a time).

John
JohnBaldwin

Postby Fred Kingston » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:43 pm

Windows is the only operating system that lets users(even with admin rights) write to the root... and they're trying to get in conformity with the rest of the universe in discouraging it... If you're using the root to process files in and out of, you would be wise to do otherwise... With each new update, Windows tightens their weak security systems, one screw at a time...

You should also realize that Windows directories on a FAT drive is NOT an indexed structure, and as such, is rather slow, and gets slower the more files there are in the directory...
Fred Kingston

Postby JohnBaldwin » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:30 pm

Thanks for that clarification, Fred: most helpful.
JohnBaldwin

Postby Pete Tabord » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:22 am

Fred Kingston wrote:Windows is the only operating system that lets users(even with admin rights) write to the root... and they're trying to get in conformity with the rest of the universe in discouraging it... If you're using the root to process files in and out of, you would be wise to do otherwise... With each new update, Windows tightens their weak security systems, one screw at a time...

You should also realize that Windows directories on a FAT drive is NOT an indexed structure, and as such, is rather slow, and gets slower the more files there are in the directory...

Unix/Linux protects its root directory because it it a true multi-role operating system, that is, it is designed from the outset to permit the running of numerous virtual machines with their own operating system. The root in a Linux system is not, conceptually, the same thing as the home directory on a Windows drive. The MBR - which you cannot access - is a closer equivalent.

The main reason not to clutter the home directory on a Windows drive with user files is simply because it is not efficient. You basically are adding extra root level nodes to the directory index all the time.

Windows does not have particularly weak security. It's just 20 years newer than Unix/Linux. For security, newer does not equal better - Unix has a 20 year head start on stopping up the holes.

Whether you should use what is basically a PC desktop level operating system to run your enterprise or web servers is a different question. Unix was designed to do that sort of job from the outset - Windows wasn't.
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Postby Fred Kingston » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:41 pm

Cool... When are you gonna create a Mac version of Ff... ? :D
Fred Kingston

Postby Pete Tabord » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:49 pm

I was thinking Android next.
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Postby Fred Kingston » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:00 pm

That would be a good fire to jump into if you ever leave the frying pan... :D
Fred Kingston

Postby Pete Tabord » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:11 pm

Some like it hot :D

Semi-seriously, if I had the bandwidth to address another platform, an up and coming one would be better than an established one.
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Postby Fred Kingston » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:43 pm

I agree... except if history is any indication, it'll be dead before you start... :D
Fred Kingston

Postby Pete Tabord » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:58 am

Oh, that's unfair, Fred, we had a working OS/2 version before IBM did :D
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Next

Return to DataEase for DOS