Dropbox and DfD files

Questions and Answers about DataEase for DOS

Dropbox and DfD files

Postby JohnBaldwin » Tue May 14, 2013 11:01 am

Please: has anyone any experience using their app data stored within a Dropbox directory?

IOW: is this a sensible place in which to keep application data and thus to obviate the need to do backups?
John Baldwin (029 2055 4457)
JohnBaldwin

Re: Dropbox and DfD files

Postby Phil Winkler » Tue May 14, 2013 1:02 pm

Let's see, placing your critical data on the web in a place over which you have no control? Nope. Don't think I would do that. :roll:
Phil Winkler
PLM Consulting, Inc.
pwinkler@plmconsulting.com
Phil Winkler

Postby Fred Kingston » Tue May 14, 2013 1:14 pm

How does your data get into and out of DropBox John? <-- this is a rhetorical question...

The answer is, via a backup method... So you're not eliminating any need to backup... you're just changing the place you store the backup from one you control to one you don't... :D
Fred Kingston

Postby Graham Smith » Tue May 14, 2013 1:19 pm

I use DropBox as a way of transferring data between home and work and for sharing.

As long as there are no real privacy concerns, you can copy a database to a drop box directory at night, but you don't really want to store a database in a dropbox directory.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Postby JohnBaldwin » Tue May 14, 2013 4:07 pm

Graham Smith wrote:don't ... store a database in a dropbox directory

That was precisely my innate reaction, and I suspected that others would view it that way as clearly Fred and Phil did too, but was (possibly) hoping that someone might persuade me that I was being too pessimistic.

Thanks.

John
John Baldwin (029 2055 4457)
JohnBaldwin

Postby Graham Smith » Wed May 15, 2013 11:55 am

I won't say it won't work but the main problem goes to how DB works.

You have a directory (folder) on your hard drive named Dropbox. It is constantly monitored for changes by a program running in the background. Anytime you change a file, that file is copied up to the DB "cloud drive".

A database is a lot of files that are frequently changed. All that is going to produce a lot of background activity which is going to be a constant drag on you. It's not unlike what happens if you allow anti-virus software to monitor a database directory.

There's no real reason I can think of why you cannot do this, it's just that it's not a really great concept. But that doesn't mean you can't try it and see. It's not likely to hurt anything.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Return to DataEase for DOS