DFD, MAC OS X Mavericks, Parallels, Win 7

Questions and Answers about DataEase for DOS

DFD, MAC OS X Mavericks, Parallels, Win 7

Postby NReiff » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:21 pm

Houston, We have a problem!!

I may be way ahead of the curve . . or perhaps way behind the curve on this one as I am using a dinosaur DOS program on the newly released Apple OS X with Parallels . .

BUT, if anyone else should ever join me on this ridiculous approach to database computing in the new millennium I am curious to know how you are making out.

This worked fine with Parallels 8 on the prior Mac software. It seemed to work fine on Parallels 9 with the prior Mac software (just a few days running in preparation for new OS). There seems to be some instability on OS X as DFD on the Mac/Parallels machine seems to sometimes drop the connection or otherwise just crashes/frozen screen/"exiting" screen.

I think perhaps it holds up a little better when using parallels in the regular mode as opposed to coherence mode, but there are still issues.

I am not sure if it is the OS X or Parallels that is causing the problem.

As additional info, one network PC is XP and one is Windows 7. Win 7 machine is running OS X and Parallels.

I will continue to update this post as things hopefully improve and I can pinpoint the issue.

I should add that after 20+ years, the DST time change was a nonevent!!

Neil Reiff
NReiff

Re: DFD, MAC OS X Mavericks, Parallels, Win 7

Postby Fred Kingston » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:40 pm

Mine was running fine... but I was screwin' around and lost the FAT partition on my Mac's drive, and restored the wrong PVM file for Parallels...which further choked everything... I'd been having some clock issues between Parallels and the Mac's clock... I moved everything off the Mac to a netbook with pure XP, and am having second thoughts as to whether I'll put everything back on the Mac...

I'll be watching this thread to see how/what issues you might have...
Fred Kingston

Postby NReiff » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:01 pm

Fred,
If you don't mind, please elaborate on the clock issue. It rings a bell in my head only because I am aware of the importance of the user form timestamp issue with regard to the DST issue.

How were you aware of a clock issue?? Is it possible that this could cause a problem?

Also, I failed to mention that when working inside of parallels, (i.e., opening a folder on my C drive, etc), I sometimes hear what sounds like a machine-gun sound. The Mac hardware tests out fine on a diagnostic check. Just another problem I am trying to isolate.

And for what it is worth, I will add that I have been experience Apple key-chain issues which Apple is aware of.

Neil
NReiff

Postby Phil Winkler » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:43 pm

Neil, is Morty still using Dfd? A small notebook running XP might be a better way to go.
Phil Winkler
PLM Consulting, Inc.
pwinkler@plmconsulting.com
Phil Winkler

Postby Fred Kingston » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:30 am

Neil... There's a setting in Parallels to define where the Windows clock syncs up...

My windows would load, and instead of syncing correctly, it would be an hour behind... if I minimized the virtual instance it would stop the clock altogether... so when when I'd go back to Windows, not only would it be behind and hour, it would be behind the time the virtual was minimized... Even if I reset the clock in windows... and then minimized the virtual, the clock would reset back an hour...

Over night, (I never turn the system off, just put it to sleep) the calendar wouldn't update also...

research didn't return anything conclusive... some obscure windows papers indicated the win sys needed to be restored from scratch... I wasn't gonna do that...

I upgraded to the new parallels and that seems to have resolved the clock issue... I suspect Parallels was preventing Windows from interacting with the different time servers...
Fred Kingston

Postby NReiff » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:18 pm

Fred,
I had found the sync clock to OS box earlier today and was afraid to mention it to you because I had assumed that you know much more than and had tried this. (Never assume anything!!- And yes, you are much smarter than me when it comes to this stuff!!)
Glad you fixed it!

Phil,
Mortie (my father) passed away two years ago. Thank you for asking.

And thank you for your suggestion, but hopefully my Mac issue will work out as I really don't want to use a notebook for DE. I like my Mac and my big screen and I hate a notebook keyboard.

AS FOR THE LATEST on my issue . . .
It appears that the OS X Mavericks Mac just drops the network connection for no apparent reason and this is what is causing DE to "hang".

Today I changed the settings in the Apple Network preferences. I unchecked the "share files and folders using AFP". I also unchecked the "share files . . using SMB" and then rechecked it as I read somewhere that this might be a "fix". No luck.

From other Google searches it seems that the dropping of the network connection is a problem/bug to some network servers from Mavericks. I am assuming the same is true with my peer to peer setup.

At this point hopefully Apple will come up with something. In the mean time, I will continue to try to isolate the issue between Parallels and Apple to try to figure it out.

Let me know if you experience the same issues.

Neil
NReiff

Postby NReiff » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:47 pm

SO . . .

Today I changed my Mac network setting as per this article:
http://www.tuaw.com/2013/10/27/did-mave ... res-a-fix/
I changed the server command to "cifs:// . . ." to replace the SMB command as per my Mac in order to use the older SMB protocol as opposed to the new SMB2.

Still DE lost the connection a few times.

The interesting thing is . . . after losing the connection in Windows, I have either maintained the connection on the Mac or otherwise reestablished the connection from the Mac side.

On the Windows/Parallels side when trying to reconnect I get this message:

"An error occurred while reconnecting F: to . . ."
"Microsoft Windows Network: The local device name is already in use."
"The connection has not been restored"

Interestingly, I could not open Internet Explorer from the Windows side but I could open Safari from the Mac.

After restarting Windows, everything is back to normal. At least for a few hours.

Anyone have any clues?? I am beginning to think it is not the Mac OS X but perhaps Parallels 9. It is not making much sense to me.

Neil
NReiff

Postby Fred Kingston » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:48 pm

Neil... One of the hurdles to understanding the Mac/Win/Parallels concept is... The Mac needs to be able to see stuff (devices, connections etc) BEFORE you start Parallels... If the Mac can't see stuff...then Parallels won't see it...
Fred Kingston

Postby NReiff » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:57 pm

I believe I have the FIX!!!

1) Upgrade to Parallels 9.0.23350.

2) Reinstall the application program in Windows.

3) Change network adapter properties:
Windows Control Panel> Network and Internet> Network and Sharing Center> Change adapter settings> Right click on Local Area connection> Properties> Configure> Power Management > Uncheck 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

4) Turn off all Apple Energy Saver boxes in Apple Preferences

5) Turn off Windows "Power saver" in Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options.

So far . . .So good!!!
NReiff

Postby Phil Winkler » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:06 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Phil Winkler
PLM Consulting, Inc.
pwinkler@plmconsulting.com
Phil Winkler

Return to DataEase for DOS