BARCODE in DataEase for DOS

Questions and Answers about DataEase for DOS

BARCODE in DataEase for DOS

Postby cajasal » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:38 pm

Hi Everybody ...I wonder if is any way to use BARCODE 39 on DataEase for DOS... I have a client who still using this program but wants to implement some job ticket barcoding to follow the job ... migration to a new MySql database start already but they need to start working on tracking this job tickets as soon as possible... thanks!!
cajasal

Re: BARCODE in DataEase for DOS

Postby Graham Smith » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:55 am

I'm not clear on what you are asking as Barcodes are stored as Alpha/Numeric data. Are you speaking about reading or printing barcodes perhaps? I've done both in the past but that was long ago when DOS was in common use.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Postby cajasal » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:21 pm

Hi Graham,

Well the system has already something done ... job tickets shows barcode on top, I found in the code something like this .. ||CF||Code39," ",3.5,0.8,24,6||CF|| ..this code is printing a barcode of anything that is between those quotation marks .. the problem is when they scan those barcode, the scanner is not reading .. I compare couple of those barcodes made by the DataEase vs Online Barcode generator with Code39, they looks different ... client basically needs is to be able to read those barcode from the job ticket with a barcode scanner, but all this is going to be saved in a new Sql Database .. but DataEase is still generating job tickets with those barcode ...

do I need to recode the DataEase barcode generator to Code39 or it is something missing on the above code? would you please show some example how DataEase generate barcode ..

Thanks!!
cajasal

Postby Graham Smith » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:32 pm

DataEase cannot print barcodes, per se, because it doesn't have it's own internal printer driver. What it is doing is sending a code to some kind of a printer/driver which is using an installed Barcode font.

The problem with barcodes is that they have changed some and the program may be using an older version that the reader can no longer read. You need to look at the printer setup and see what it's doing. It's been about 20yrs since I had anything to do with DataEase and barcodes so my memory is pretty rusty on this.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Postby Adrian Jones » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:43 am

Your app is using a third-party tool, I think called FormExpress.

The bit of code ||CF||Code39... is how this product works. You embed a bit of script for it to pick up when something is sent to the printer. This tool has not been changed for a billion years or so.

As Graham says, there is nothing 'bar-codey' about the data or the database. A barcode is basically a font, so all that stuff is dealt with at the printer.

DE DOS really is old and pre-dates the useful stuff that even first versions of Windows brought to the table, such as a choice of fonts that you can see on screen and also print.
Adrian Jones

Postby cajasal » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:27 pm

Thanks Adrian,

I figured out using PCL printer programming and some new barcode program from http://www.idautomation.com using code39 font.
cajasal

Postby Gil Fleming » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:55 am

You can do this using BarTender software.

1. In DFD, output your barcode data and any other variable data you want to be printed as a delimited text file, with headers (eg barcode.txt).

2. In Bartender, create a database-linked format that links to your text file. Create a barcode using the data in your text file. Create the rest of your format and save it.

3. Print and pat yourself on the back.

Bartender has command line options. You may be able to program-call BarTender from within DFD and load the linked format you created earlier. This would give you a degree of semi-automation. In BarTender, you can easily set up prompts for any other runtime variable data you need.

You can get a fully functional trial of Bartnder at http://www.seagullscientific.com/label- ... px?lang=en

If you are in the UK, you can give me a call and I can talk you through it. 0151 343 1800

We use ffenics linked to BarTender to generate QR coded labels for shipping , as well as product labels.
Gil Fleming
Director
Fleming Technical Limited

You can't think about what you don't know - Mike Fidler
If you can't fight, wear a big hat - John S Fleming
The best way to have a good idea is to have lots of ideas - Linus Pauling
Gil Fleming

Postby cajasal » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:49 pm

Hi Gil,

Thanks for your answer, that is exactly what I did with http://www.idautomation.com and it works perfect!. I still will take a look of your solution in case something fail and I have to move to another solution, but so far so good! thanks!!
cajasal

Return to DataEase for DOS