Windows 10 and DFD

Questions and Answers about DataEase for DOS

Windows 10 and DFD

Postby earlwer » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:51 pm

It looks like we (old farts) have been spared for a bit longer.

Windows 10 will be available in 32-bit, so DFD should keep running.
http://www.winbeta.org/news/move-tempt- ... windows-10

At this point, a Win 7 32-bit machines should be able to get a free upgrade to Windows 10 32-bit...
earlwer

Re: Windows 10 and DFD

Postby Pete Tabord » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:00 pm

Hi Earl !

I think 32 bit will be around for a while - one benefit (possibly the only one) of MS trying to make Windows into an OS for tablets and phones as well. I've got a fun little 32 bit 7" tablet that dual boots between Win 10 and Android.

Expect the usual driver difficulties when upgrading and Win 10 won't upgrade some machines - just gives you a message saying not suitable. I don't know if you could then do a 'from scratch' install - I haven't bothered to find out, I'm happy to leave older machines on Win7.
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Postby DavidAGray » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:18 am

I had the same realization when I noticed that any Windows 7 machine was eligible for the Windows 10 upgrade. Early machines, such as the one on which I had my first encounter with Windows 7, came with 32 bit processors. That meant that there had to be a 32 bit version of Windows 10. However, it leaves a question begging. Can you get a 32 bit build of Windows 10 to go onto a 64 bit machine.
DavidAGray

Postby Graham Smith » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:57 pm

One thing we have lost in the transition between Win7 Pro and Win8/10 Pro is XP Mode. I've used this on my Win7/64 computer on the rare occasions where I needed to run an old DFD app.

BTW, if you do use XP Mode for anything, don't upgrade to Win10 because it's no longer supported and will be wiped out in the upgrade.

I was never able to get DOSBox to work (Pete has), and I don't have the patience to screw around with FreeDOS. Win10 does have Hyper-V and I played with it but I'm unimpressed. VMWare or VirtualBox still seem to be better choices. It's a real shame that MS built XP Mode the way they did because even though it's a VM, there's no way to port it over to Hyper-V. The best solution seem to be to setup a VM with an old copy of XP. I wish I still had a copy of Win2000 lying about because it would be fun to put that on a VM for DfD.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Postby Pete Tabord » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:57 am

I assume 32bit Windows 10 is available for download / purchase, because as I mentioned above I bought a new tablet last year that came with Win 10 32-bit.

I quite like Win10 itself, what I hate is Edge and the dumbed down cloud based office apps. I'm sticking to Firefox and office 2010.
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Return to DataEase for DOS