Installation Scripts for 5.16

Questions and Answers about DataEase for DOS

Installation Scripts for 5.16

Postby DavidAGray » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:26 am

I have been engaged to work on an accounting application that runs in DFD 5.16, and I'm going to need to build installation scripts to update the production data base. Looking at the examples in the README files suggests that the format of the scripts has changed. Though I have a licensed copy of 5.15i, if it came with any kind of printed manual, it has long since vanished into thin air or a box buried in our garage.

I anticipate the installation being confined to DQL procedures, although I might need to change the odd form or two.

Hailing frequencies open.
DavidAGray

Re: Installation Scripts for 5.16

Postby Graham Smith » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:59 pm

AFAIR, syntax for scripts didn't change in 5.x. What's looking different to you? I assume you still have IncrEase?
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Postby DavidAGray » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:22 am

Graham,

Yes, I still have IncrEase. What looks different is the separation of forms from views over forms, although the data base in question predates 5.x, and has no separate views, so far as I can see. That being the case, which do I use to install/update a form?
DavidAGray

Postby Graham Smith » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:28 pm

I was afraid you were going to ask me that... I have almost nothing that goes back that far. I had a very good version of IncrEase I was using for a client that could do version comparisons and produce install scripts, but I have no idea if I still have it somewhere or where that might be.

As best as I can recall, it's:
install form formname from: filename
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
Graham Smith

Postby DavidAGray » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:38 am

Yes, I know the syntax, and I have ZZ Doesit! too, but only the 4.53 version. Anyway, what I meant was whether to take the .TDF or the .CFM file for a form. From what I can tell, reports are unchanged.
DavidAGray

Postby Graham Smith » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:56 pm

DavidAGray wrote:Yes, I know the syntax, and I have ZZ Doesit! too, but only the 4.53 version. Anyway, what I meant was whether to take the .TDF or the .CFM file for a form. From what I can tell, reports are unchanged.

The DBM, TDF, and CFM should all have the same name for a form. With a view, there will be a different CFM name. Pete, is that correct?

ZZDoesIt - that's what I was trying to think of. I actually have a copy of the 5.x version from 2005 in my archive that I can send you (I don't think Kevin would have minded). I'll have to see if it's complete.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
Graham Smith

Postby DavidAGray » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:17 pm

Nice to have, though not necessary, since I figured out long ago how to generate installation scripts from IncrEase, which is, in fact, how I created the script for the new client. In this case, I took a roundabout approach, so that I could use my 64 bit Windows 7 box for most of the work. By roundabout, I mean that I exported the reports directory to a flat file, which I imported into Excel, then used a combination of functions from a custom VBA add-in library and standard worksheet functions to craft the script, itself, and a Windows NT command script to copy the updated that I needed.
DavidAGray

Postby Pete Tabord » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:00 am

I think the only syntax changes were to do with installing 'views'. I can't be sure at this distance.

If the app has never been touched by DFW the CFM, TDF and FRM names should match for a 'real' form. DFD never had the ludicrous (from an internal point of view) idea of detaching the defining form from the table.

There is a DFD 5.53 which was the final 'best effort', I can't now remember what was fixed in it , but it would have been stuff that was stress tested by BIll King's app :-)
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Return to DataEase for DOS