Dates and Windows 10

Moderators: Phil Winkler, Graham Smith, Pete Tabord

Dates and Windows 10

Postby Adrian Jones » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:42 pm

An oddity following my recent PC upgrade to Windows 10.

I noticed that I was suddenly seeing US-style dates on the task bar or whatever the strip across the bottom is called.

So I headed for the control panel, and looked for short date settings. In the dropdown there, all I could choose was dd-MMM-yy as any UK-friendly format, so I changed it.

I then noticed that Ff dates were appearing as "01-06-16", rather than "01/02/16", and that a selection criteria of DateField > 01/01/10 was not returning anything.

I then returned to the control panel and noticed another button on the region dialog labelled "Additional Settings", which this time let me enter a date format, rather than simply select it from a dropdown.

when I changed to one with '/', and closed and reopened Ff, my selection criteria started to work again.

I suggest this is something to keep an eye open for in applications which may well have all kinds of hard-codings when it comes to dates, including ones that assume a certain format to the date field data.
Adrian Jones

Re: Dates and Windows 10

Postby John Middleton » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:12 am

Yep! They are trying to Americanise us!

Don't forget also to check currency and language formats.

Some (future) updates succeed to changing the formats back again - really useful (not)!

Language must be set as English (UK) not English (USA) or sorts orders, etc. go to pot.

John Middleton
John Middleton

Postby Graham Smith » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:01 pm

I'm rather surprised that an upgrade would create this problem. There is a Windows forum I frequent that has contributors from a number of countries and have yet to see this mentioned.

Just to be clear, you upgraded a Win7 or Win8 computer to Win10 and after the upgrade your regional settings had been changed?
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Postby John Middleton » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:29 pm

Graham

The problem has been well publicised on MSDN.

At first, it was assumed that if just one of the infamous trilogy (Currency, Region, and Date) was incorrect prior to upgrade, then the upgrade process would set all three to the same. This ‘excuse’ has, more recently, been queried.

English (USA) is/was the default option for the install process for all previous version of Windoze and its surprising how many users go through life not realising this

The simple answer would be for proper English and spelling to be taught in American schools – he said, ducking the fall out!!!

John Middleton
John Middleton

Postby Mark Nicholas » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:13 pm

The funny thing is that dd-MMM-yy is not available among the English UK date formats .

It happens to be very similar to the IATA format, which was purposefully designed to be internationally acceptable and understood.

Of course when the airlines pooled together to create their think-tank, they had the good sense - and obviously the resources- to fill it with the highest quality brains.

Hence a truly international and functional result: 02JUN16 even if it's not the usual way you see dates, you cannot misunderstand it.

It's a pity computing didn't go down a similar sort of road. I guess the main obstacle was (and still is) the 'personal' element of a PC...
Mark Nicholas
Mark Nicholas

Postby Graham Smith » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:02 am

John Middleton wrote:The problem has been well publicised on MSDN.

Interesting. It's possible I missed seeing it on the forum I mentioned because there have been so many different problems reported. There are a number of people from the UK and Australia who are regular posters and I thought I would have seen it mentioned.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Return to Ffenics 1.x