EPOS Cash Drawer Operation

Moderators: Phil Winkler, Graham Smith, Pete Tabord

EPOS Cash Drawer Operation

Postby Neil Moores » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:30 pm

Just wondering if anyone is using the software for point of sale. I have a cash drawer with a flying lead with a small telephone like connector that I assume connects to the PC in some way and the EPOS software triggers the drawer to open. I use Ffenics for the sales and receipts etc. and it would be great if it would open the till drawer as well when I click on save.
Neil Moores

Re: EPOS Cash Drawer Operation

Postby John Middleton » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:23 pm

Neil

I reckon that as we have some 25 year plus experience of EPoS, I might _just_ be qualified to answer your query.

The small 'telephone' adapter, you describe, interfaces with a receipt printer (not to a PC ) which, in turn, sends a small voltage pulse to the electro magnetic on the cash drawer and heh presto the drawer flirts open.

The drivers for the receipt printer will have provision to send the pulse (usually either immediately before or after printing the receipt).

John Middleton
ShopEase
John Middleton

Postby Neil Moores » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:38 pm

Thanks for that John, I reckon 25 years is about qualified.
It all makes sense now and much easier than I thought it would be. I was thinking programming, adapters and conversion cables etc.
If only everything in life was that simple.

Thanks again
Neil
Neil Moores

Postby Neil Moores » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:10 pm

John, in the hope you read this and I can draw on that 25 years Epos experience again I have a problem when scanning a bar code into a Cash Sales form.

On the line item the first field is a fixed quantity of 1 and the second field is the barcode then description etc.

I scan starting on the Qty field and use a prefix tab which moves along and enters the bar code in the next field and then 5 suffix tabs to get back to the start of the next line. However various leading numbers are stripped from the barcode. The scanner works fine, tabs and enters the correct data in Excel so I was was wondering if there is something unusual about Ffenics that might cause it.
Neil Moores

Postby Gil Fleming » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:33 am

Neil, couldn't you just fire a script on the valueloaded event that would enter a carriage return for you, using the keystrokes function? 8)
Gil Fleming
Director
Fleming Technical Limited

You can't think about what you don't know - Mike Fidler
If you can't fight, wear a big hat - John S Fleming
The best way to have a good idea is to have lots of ideas - Linus Pauling
Gil Fleming

Postby Neil Moores » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:30 pm

Hi Gil
I don't think that would work. I would like it to work just like in the supermarket, the first field is the quantity which is defaulted to 1 which they can change to whatever, then scan the bar code which is programmed to tab to next field to enter the bar code. The following 5 fields are lookups to price and description etc so the scanner is programmed for 5 tabs taking it back to the start of the next line. The only problem is the initial tab which for some reason deletes some leading characters from the actual bar code.

If I scan a bar code into a field without the first tab it reads the bar code correctly, there is just some conflict with the first tab and reading the bar code.

I have toyed with putting the Qty field in a different position but that would stop the continual scanning of single items.

I am not an expert with Ffenics and not clever enough to set up the keystroke function but would that not still need an initial tab response from the bar code reader to invoke the function or alternatively a tab to the second field from the keyboard which I am trying to avoid.

However you have just made me think that an initial carriage return programmed into the scanner as opposed to a tab might just work differently. Will try it, fingers crossed.
Neil Moores

Postby earlwer » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:34 am

John Middleton wrote:The drivers for the receipt printer will have provision to send the pulse (usually either immediately before or after printing the receipt).

I seem to remember that there was a specific string that was used to trigger the cash drawer.

You should be able to find the specifications for the slip printer online...
http://keyhut.com/popopen.htm
earlwer

Postby John Middleton » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:34 pm

We used:

Code: Select all
define "ACT" Number .
if KeyValue = 13 then
      if DAT.value > blank then
      Act := RecordSave ().
      else
      Act := RecordSaveNew () .
      end
end 

where 13 is the return key.

. . . . . and then ‘One line input processing’ – made famous by Richard Laidler – back in 6.52 days!

---- also enables a quantity to be entered before the bar code (using the ‘midc’ function), to identify your divider. E.g 6#50432452 sells 6 packets of baccy!

Earl

Sure, you could use the ‘ePott’ escape command, but with most modern PC’s using USB, it’s easier to use printer drivers.

John Middleton
John Middleton

Return to Ffenics 1.x