Choice Field "List Name"

Moderators: Phil Winkler, Graham Smith, Pete Tabord

Choice Field "List Name"

Postby Graham Smith » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:46 pm

Below the Choice List in the field definition is a "List Name". I have vague recollections of this being in DfD and of somehow being able to ensure that all Choice Fields that shared a common name had the same list of choices in the same order.

I'm currently working on something in Ffenics with a Choice list that has remained unchanged for many, many years but now needs a choice added. What I am trying to recall is what function this List Name serves in Ffenics and what, if any, use it may be.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Re: Choice Field "List Name"

Postby Gil Fleming » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:52 pm

If the field was a set of choices that you used frequently, you could give it a list name (say, GrahamsFaves) then, next time you wanted to define a choice field, you could simply enter GrahamsFaves in the list name and all of the choices would be there.

There was also a handy feature in DataEase called the Dictionary. If there were fields that you would use all over your application (InvoiceNum, for example), you could define it in the Dictionary then, when you hit F10 for a new field, one of the options was to insert a dictionary field, which would have the correct name and type.
Gil Fleming
Director
Fleming Technical Limited

You can't think about what you don't know - Mike Fidler
If you can't fight, wear a big hat - John S Fleming
The best way to have a good idea is to have lots of ideas - Linus Pauling
Gil Fleming

Postby Graham Smith » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:20 pm

Now I recall the list name. I'm not sure it's working in Ffenics, however. I rarely use choice fields with more than three choices (e.g. Male, Female, Other) but on some occasions they can be handy.

I had forgotten the Dictionary, but I have one of sorts in Ffenics. Just a form with a whole bunch of commonly used fields for copy and paste. I have an aspect over the form with most of the commonly used objects, like buttons.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
Graham Smith

Postby Gil Fleming » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:38 pm

Graham Smith wrote: I rarely use choice fields with more than three choices (e.g. Male, Female, Other)

Three choices can be restrictive in these liberated times:
Male,Female,Transgender,Transvestite,TransCurious, Undecided, InTransition, Other(please specify).

As an aside, my daughter runs a large HR department. They have to have policies for all sorts of things, including Gender Reassignment. This has to lay down when someone who is undergoing reassignment should be able to use the toilet facilities of their new gender, and at what stage they should be able to wear the clothing reflective of their new gender.

It makes chemistry seem refreshingly un-complex. :roll:
Gil Fleming
Director
Fleming Technical Limited

You can't think about what you don't know - Mike Fidler
If you can't fight, wear a big hat - John S Fleming
The best way to have a good idea is to have lots of ideas - Linus Pauling
Gil Fleming

Postby Pete Tabord » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:10 am

I had been thinking along the lines that each stylesheet should have a 'home form' where you could create and/or edit styles. That could also be used as a dictionary, I suppose (using the field's object name as a sort of 'style'). But I don't suppose I'll get round to implementing it any time soon.

I think the choice name was originally there for backward compatibility with DFD 5, which IIRC not only had the choice name facility you mentiio0n but would actually ripple changes to the choices in all the fields that used that named list of choices if you had a field using that choice list in the dictionary. Or that may be just something we meant to do and never had time...

As to that other issue, I think a simple DNA test will solve it - at least for now :evil:
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Postby Graham Smith » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:45 pm

Pete Tabord wrote:I think the choice name was originally there for backward compatibility with DFD 5, which IIRC not only had the choice name facility you mentiio0n but would actually ripple changes to the choices in all the fields that used that named list of choices if you had a field using that choice list in the dictionary. Or that may be just something we meant to do and never had time...

The fact that choice fields are really (or should be) self limiting more or less make it irrelevant. Still, it's an interesting exercise in the notion of inheritance.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
Graham Smith

Return to Ffenics 1.x