cannot restore back up

Moderators: Phil Winkler, Graham Smith, Pete Tabord

cannot restore back up

Postby MichaelBave » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:19 am

Restore back up. I cannot restore any previous backups. I get the message :- can't close application with open documents. have not been able to find any open documents So cannot access previous backups
MichaelBave

Re: cannot restore back up

Postby Gil Fleming » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:47 am

Michael, We don't use ffenics' backup system. Our db is zipped up every day and emailed to a dedicated mailbox, via a scheduled batch file. Works perfectly. We also use Genie Timeline Pro which performs constant backup throughout the day. For example, one of our guys wanted to print a delivery note ready to ship goods out. Instead of printing one note, he printed one note for each line of the order. Trying to reverse something like that is a pain, as deliveries have their tentacles in order files, delivery note files and stock files. Instead, we used Timeline and effectively turned the clock back by 15 minutes to the point before the error occurred. I know that this doesn't address your current problem, but it might help in future. I would recommend winrar for the zipping part, as it has a comprehensive command line interface, so is easily controlled via batch file. For example, we exclude all of our generated PDFs from the backup, as they are easily regenerated if required. They would just add bulk to the zip file and make the process slower.
Gil Fleming
Director
Fleming Technical Limited

You can't think about what you don't know - Mike Fidler
If you can't fight, wear a big hat - John S Fleming
The best way to have a good idea is to have lots of ideas - Linus Pauling
Gil Fleming

Postby Graham Smith » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:20 pm

MichaelBave wrote:Restore back up. I cannot restore any previous backups. I get the message :- can't close application with open documents. have not been able to find any open documents So cannot access previous backups

As Gil said, the backups aren't really all that useful, but they do work. Could you explain the circumstances more thoroughly?

That message would appear to indicate that you have the database open and are somehow trying to run a restore from a menu. I'm not sure how you would even do that.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Postby MichaelBave » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:35 pm

As I dont have a great volume of traffic, I only backup once a week, which has been successful for many years.
Afew days ago I realised that I had made a small error, which didn't matter as I could go back to the last backup. Wrong !
as a result I found that if I tried to access a previous backup I received the message "Can't close Application with open docs"

can you help me
Michael Bave
MichaelBave

Postby Gil Fleming » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:35 pm

Michael

Try creating a new application, then use the restore option within ffenics. If that fails, then I suspect that the problem is a corrupt backup.

If the error is only small, it's worth correcting it manually, then adopting an external backup regime.
Gil Fleming
Director
Fleming Technical Limited

You can't think about what you don't know - Mike Fidler
If you can't fight, wear a big hat - John S Fleming
The best way to have a good idea is to have lots of ideas - Linus Pauling
Gil Fleming

Return to Ffenics 1.x