Latest Version 1 Download

Moderators: Phil Winkler, Graham Smith, Pete Tabord

Latest Version 1 Download

Postby Neil Moores » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:41 am

I'm still using version 1.53, can I upgrade this to 1.63 within the licence terms and where can I download it from.
Neil Moores

Re: Latest Version 1 Download

Postby Graham Smith » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:31 pm

I cannot speak to this officially, but as far as I am aware, if you own a 1.x license, you can use it with any of the 1.x versions. I believe you can still get it from the folks at Ffenics. You can email and ask.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Postby Neil Moores » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:10 pm

Thanks Graham I will email them. I remember a long time ago their was a download site for all the current versions.
Neil Moores

Postby Neil Moores » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:16 pm

This is a tough request: does anyone have a copy of 1.63 they could let me have. I'm not asking for any licence numbers or cheating in any way I just want to bring my current licensed software up to date. Unfortunately Ffenice say "in-line with our historical policy, once a new version is released the previous version is no longer available".

Nice way to treat a small but long standing customer of 25 years,
Neil Moores

Postby andyclinton59 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:57 am

Neil Moores wrote:Unfortunately Ffenice say "in-line with our historical policy, once a new version is released the previous version is no longer available".

I think I will urge Ffenics to reconsider. This is unnecessarily inflexible. it is understandable that they want customers to be on the latest version as it is easier to support one version but when you do a major release and change the licensing model at the same time it is obvious that a lot of users will delay to upgrade and to force our hand is not the way to go about it.

I can't see any technical or logistical reason for this so it must only be to either be difficult or to force people to upgrade.

Upgrading should be done on the merit of the product not by force, and this inflexibility is more likely to backfire then to increase sales.

It looks to me now that Ffenics has managed to turn a moment of "victory" into a sour grape for the existing users after having waited patiently for 2.0 for what seems like a decade.
andyclinton59

Postby Neil Moores » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:38 am

I suppose I was foolish by not updating to the most recent version when I had the opportunity but I must say I was surprised by the response. Being only a small user the cost of the new program isn't that prohibitive but my concern would be that if anything happens to Ffenics as a company the software is locked forever. I have yet to find an administrator that would care to send out permanent unlock codes to every user if the company folded. I would have preferred to have seen an option like Sage where you can purchase the product and its upgrades or have it as a service.

However I sincerely wish them every success in making some money as the product really deserves it.
Neil Moores

Postby Neil Moores » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:45 pm

Never thought to mention if there is a sympathetic kind soul out there, neil@comltd.co.uk . Anonymous would do.
Neil Moores

Postby Neil Moores » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:05 pm

Not needed now - Bought a current 1.63 licence with the download. I thought I had to run the special 1.63 upgrade.
Neil Moores

Return to Ffenics 1.x