Print to pdf now failing

Moderators: Phil Winkler, Graham Smith, Pete Tabord

Print to pdf now failing

Postby andyjh » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:53 am

Everything was working well, until I installed the demo version of Ffenics 2, which then caused Ffenics 1.53 to stop printing to pdf. I have uninstalled Ffenics 2, but it has left Ffenic 1.53 still unable to print to pdf with " Printer not activated, error code - 30"

I have noticed since installing Ffenics 2 a new printer driver "Amyuni Document Converter 550" has appeared, which I cannot get rid of, the original driver "Amyuni Document Converter 300" is still there, but throws up the error now.

So, I am assuming installing Ffenics 2 has installed this new pdf driver, which is conflicting with the old one,
can anyone confirm anything about this.

I have tried every "fix" known to get the error code off the driver, to no avail.

This is on Windows 10
andyjh

Re: Print to pdf now failing

Postby Gil Fleming » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:09 am

Hi Andy. Try running your ffenics.exe file with Administrator privileges. That sometimes fixes the problem.

I'm pasting a reply that I made to someone else with a similar problem. The port setup stuff is courtesy of a previous post by Graham Smith.

Have you done the following:

1. Do you have a printer called ffenics?
2. If yes, does it communicate via a port called ffenics? If not, create a port called ffenics as a local port.
3. Check the ffenics printer properties. On the advanced tab, check 'Start printing after last page is spooled'. Ensure all subsequent options are unchecked.
4. Right click your ffenics exe file or your ffenics shortcut. For the shortcut properties, choose the shortcut tab and then advanced. Check the 'Run as Administrator' option. On a Win10 machine, pdf generation refused to work until we did this.
5. Try your pdf procedure.
Gil Fleming
Director
Fleming Technical Limited

You can't think about what you don't know - Mike Fidler
If you can't fight, wear a big hat - John S Fleming
The best way to have a good idea is to have lots of ideas - Linus Pauling
Gil Fleming

Postby andyjh » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:56 am

Yes, that is one of many things I had tried,

Can anyone confirm where the "Amyuni Document Converter 550" has come from, was it Ffenics 2 or does it belong to Windows 10 ?
andyjh

Postby Graham Smith » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:03 pm

Amyuni is the maker of the printer driver that Ffenics uses. Ffenics 2.0 uses a new, updated driver. When it installs, it should go in with the name Ffenics2 but there were cases during the beta when it installed under the Amyuni name instead. Actually, what I found is that both names were associated with it.

AFAIK, no one reported a problem with prior versions during the 2.0 beta. I had about half a dozen versions installed on the computer I am typing this at and never once had a problem with 1.x.

One thought, Windows update has been showing an optional update for the Amyuni printer driver. If by any chance you did that, it could have very well screwed things up. To be sure, you should uninstall and reinstall 1.x - be sure that the Ffenics printer is removed as well.

That said, I have a client who can no longer use the Amyuni driver with 1.53 because of some update they did (and it wasn't anything to do with Ffenics). It's either something having to do with another program or more likely a Microsoft patch of some kind. In their case, the RTF stopped working but PDF still worked, which is crazy strange. We tried a reinstall but now they can't get past the Error -30.

That error, by the way, is a failure of Ffenics and the Amyuni driver to handshake. I've seen reports of the same problem with other software that uses the driver, but nothing consistent enough to point to a specific culprit.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Postby Pete Tabord » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:47 pm

Error -30 means that the printer that is being addressed is configured for a product other than the product trying to primt to it. It can also mean the activation code has timed out.

Drivers licensed from Amyuni to be redistributed have a code in them which is specific to the software product, the version of Amyuni, and the Amyuni features that have been purchased. Which is why the FF2 version must have a different name to the FF1 version if they are both going to work - otherwise the OS gets tangled as to which driver the code is going to. It stores its key in the Windows registry and it has to match the one I embed (in several places) in the program. It only is active for a short time so we send it any time we start to print or access the other Amyuni library features we now embed.

I presume we all have the same upgrades from MS and I've not had any other reports of the driver ceasing to function (as they say when the army lorry drives off the bridge)

Full purchased end-user drivers come with a different code that let them be used with any product.
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Postby Gil Fleming » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:58 pm

Pete, the pc I tested FF2 on is now no longer able to generate PDFs.
Gil Fleming
Director

Gil Fleming

Postby Graham Smith » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:57 am

Pete Tabord wrote:Full purchased end-user drivers come with a different code that let them be used with any product.

Is it possible to use a full purchased end-user driver with Ffenics simply by naming the printer driver Ffenics?
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Postby Hayley Mansfield » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:40 am

Is this on all PDFs and print outputs or is this specific to a procedure?
Potential solutions I would suggest are;
• Run in Administrator Mode
• Check to make sure the default printer isn’t Ffenics
Hayley Mansfield
Marketeer
Database Software Ltd.
hmansfield@Ffenics.com
Hayley Mansfield

Postby Pete Tabord » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:01 pm

Graham Smith wrote:
Pete Tabord wrote:Full purchased end-user drivers come with a different code that let them be used with any product.

Is it possible to use a full purchased end-user driver with Ffenics simply by naming the printer driver Ffenics?

No.

Well, I say that, but I think it is highly unlikely since we have to use the specific printer name _plus_ a hard coded authorisation string that matches the one embedded in the Amyuni driver. This combination has to be sent immediately before we use the 'printer', it's not a case of sending it once when FF starts up.

Amyuni version 550 is the one shipped with FF2.0, but it is specifically keyed for use with Ffenics 2 and won't work with anything else.

The likely cause of the problem is that the driver is using the new key value in the registry or the new driver. It is vitally important not to change the name of the 'printers' - the Ffenics one will only work with FF1, the Ffenics2 one will only work with FF2.
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Postby andyjh » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:01 pm

can anyone tell me how to delete the Amyuni Document Converter 550 from my system,
I am sure it is what is stopping my print to pdf working in FFenics 1.62,

I uninstalled the demo of FFenics2, but the rogue driver is still there

thanks
andyjh

Postby Hayley Mansfield » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:48 pm

Hi Andy,

To delete the Amyuni Document Convert 550 from your system;

Run the Ffenics program that's in the Ffenics program directory.
Then, go to the Windows command line, go to the correct directory and type install -u.
If you've already uninstalled Ffenics, you'll need to reinstall it.
Hayley Mansfield
Marketeer
Database Software Ltd.
hmansfield@Ffenics.com
Hayley Mansfield

Postby andyjh » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:18 pm

Thanks for the reply, but I need more info,

"Run the Ffenics program" ? I assume you just mean run the Ffenics.exe

"go to the correct directory" which directory would that be ?

you say if I have uninstalled Ffenics then reinstall it, but how would I be able to do step 1 if it is uninstalled ?

Are you saying that Ffenics has to be running in order to uninstall the Amyuni 550 driver ?

I tried the directory Ffenics was in, but it took me to uninstalling "Microsoft Visual C++2008", at which point I quit the process.
andyjh

Postby Gil Fleming » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:37 pm

Hi Andy

I got the impression that the previous post was formulated by one person and posted by another. Always a recipe for Chinese Whisper Syndrome.

I think that you need to fully uninstall the ffenics trial software in order to uninstall the unwanted Amyuni driver. If it didn't uninstall when you uninstalled the ffenics 2.0 demo, that's just a bad uninstall routine. It may be that you would need to install your full version of ffenics again. PDF has always been a flaky element of ffenics.
Last edited by Gil Fleming on Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gil Fleming
Director

Gil Fleming

Postby andyjh » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:34 am

I have fully uninstalled FFenics 2, but it has not removed the offending Amyuni driver,

I have no doubt it is a bad uninstall routine in Ffenics 2, so I was hoping I could get some advice from someone who wrote the bad uninstall routine to help me get my system working again.

I now regret ever installing Ffenics 2, it has ruined my system, I just want someone to guide me how to get my system working again. I did email sales at Ffenics about purchasing Ffenics 2 - but that got ignored.

PDF output has always been OK for me with Ffenics 1.62, I just want to get back to where I was, I rely on Ffenics for my business, and it is now a problem as pdf output is becoming more important, but now it doesn't function properly,

please can someone help me get it working again
andyjh

Postby Gil Fleming » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:02 am

Andy

I would suggest

1. Make a full backup of your ffenics database.
2. Look for any ffenics or Amyuni printer devices, get the names of any drivers involved, then delete the printer devices.
3. As an extra precaution, search for the drivers you found in 2 and make sure they have gone.
4. Uninstall your 1.62 ffenics, then reinstall.

You should be aware that ffenics 2.0 cannot be purchased. You can only now license it per seat per month, which was sneaked in when they were asking the community to beta test their software. Interestingly, we use office 365 and Access is being bundled with it from January. Perhaps ffenics should be renamed Icarus. A Welsh version of a Greek tragedy..... :?
Gil Fleming
Director

Gil Fleming

Next

Return to Ffenics 1.x