Using Converter under print options

Moderators: Phil Winkler, Graham Smith, Pete Tabord

Using Converter under print options

Postby Wagdin » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:17 am

Hello All, can someone let me know how to use the Converter option detailed under print option.
When I try it gives me the error that printer is not designated.
Many Thanks any Help. Philip
Wagdin

Re: Using Converter under print options

Postby Wagdin » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:08 am

Hello Again , I should add that I'm trying to use the converter option to print to "RTF" or "Excel"
Wagdin

Postby Hayley Mansfield » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:35 am

Hello Philip,

Is there an error number which appears in the error message?
If not, can you please inform me of the specific text in the error message?

Kind regards,

Hayley
Hayley Mansfield
Marketeer
Database Software Ltd.
hmansfield@Ffenics.com
Hayley Mansfield

Postby Gil Fleming » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:25 pm

Philip

The converter is a third party add-in and its unreliability is probably one of the main topics in the forum. Depending on what you need to output to a text file, you may find that the TextOut() and TextOutLn() functions might work for you. The syntax in a procedure is very simple:

Code: Select all
define "r" number .

r := textout ("mytextfile.txt", "This is the first bit of text that I want to output to the text file and ") .

r := textout ("mytextfile.txt", "this part will join onto the previous line because we've used the textout function. ") .

r := TextOutLn ("mytextfile.txt", "This Text will appear on a new line because we've used the textoutln function ") .

r := TextOutLn ("mytextfile.txt", "") -- this will insert a blank line in the text file.

In this simple example, the filename has been hard coded as mytextfile.txt. If you need to use this procedure as part of an automated process, you can use the filerename() function to rename and relocate the file, giving it a file name generated by your system (an invoice number, a document reference, a delivery note number, for example). It's pretty straightforward to do and is reliable. Just make sure that the rename function is used in a separate procedure.

You can use exactly the same functions to generate a csv file that can be read by Excel. The content of each text line don't have to be hard text - they can be variable data from your system:

Code: Select all
define "r" number .

r:= textoutln ("vardata.csv", "Invoice Ref") .

for invoices with invoicedate = current extended date ;

r:= textoutln ("vardata.csv", InvoiceNum ) .

end
message "Your vardata.csv file has now been created ||Go take a look!" window .

Getting field separators into the file takes a little more thought. I prefer using a semicolon as a separator as it is less easily confused syntactically and is unlikely to appear in your data. A common error is to use a comma as the separator, only to get screwed up when the exported data contains commas (5, Hawthorn Avenue, for example).
Gil Fleming
Director
Fleming Technical Limited

You can't think about what you don't know - Mike Fidler
If you can't fight, wear a big hat - John S Fleming
The best way to have a good idea is to have lots of ideas - Linus Pauling
Gil Fleming

Postby Pete Tabord » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:15 pm

The converter must be installed, it cannot be copied from machine to machine.

If you are having a problem you could try running the 'install' (not setup) program in the Ffenics program directory as an administrator. It must be run on the workstation in question, not from a network drive or similar.

The converter in Ffenics 1 is quite old, and is temperamental about installation on Windows 8 and later, and on 64 bit machines.

The converter in FF2 is the latest version, and reliable on all versions of Windows to date. It cannot, however, be used with FF1.
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Return to Ffenics 1.x