Allow Entry Virtual

Moderators: Phil Winkler, Graham Smith, Pete Tabord

Allow Entry Virtual

Postby Adrian Jones » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:26 pm

I may be the only person who does this, but it is possible to have a virtual field that is allow entry, so you can type in a value but it would be stored on disk.

Except ... I have a client app where the value suddenly is being stored. The flag on the field says virtual (and prevent entry is unchecked) but there is clearly a value being retained. There is no derivation on the field, before you ask.

This app was accidentally touched by v2, so this might be connected to that.

If anyone knows what I'm referring to, has anyone seen this before?

(I will play with the form later to see if I can undo the change or reset the 'virtualness'; reporting this as it has just happened.)
Adrian Jones

Re: Allow Entry Virtual

Postby Graham Smith » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:02 pm

I assume you meant to say, "...but it would NOT be stored to disk." in the first line. I seem to recall a discussion about this in the past and even some testing, but not why.

As to the part about a virtual with no derivation displaying a value... That also seems to ring a bell from long, long ago; but nothing specific. Sounds like file corruption.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Postby Adrian Jones » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:51 pm

You are correct.

I have a few uses for these allow-entry virtuals. In this instance, it allows me to to an 'in-aspect' search.

The field seems to have forgotten that it is virtual, and a value is now being stored.
Adrian Jones

Postby Graham Smith » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:18 pm

I know we have discussed this. Wasn't there a try at creating some kind of document only fields in DFW?
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Return to Ffenics 1.x