Ensuring backup integrity

Moderators: Phil Winkler, Graham Smith, Pete Tabord

Ensuring backup integrity

Postby Gil Fleming » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:39 pm

This is just an informational post concerning the issues that can occur if you back up your app when people are logged into it. It happened to us and certain areas of the app, including the open files and the relationships file, became corrupt when a restore was performed.

As a result, we have now scheduled an automatic process termination (ffenics being the process) just prior to our daily scheduled backup to cloud.

10 minutes before backup, we schedule a message that warns users that they have 5 minutes to close out of ffenics. If they have simply left their machine on with ffenics running, then the ffenics process is terminated 5 minutes later with the batch file:
Code: Select all
taskkill /f /im ffenics.exe

The ffenics.exe should be substituted with ffixrun.exe if the workstation is running ffenics runtime.
5 minutes later, we run the scheduled backup.

Made me wonder if this could be modified to run ffenics in a 'session' whereby the user runs a task (start ffenics and start the session timer), then, 5 minutes before the session is terminated, the user gets a message saying "log out within 5 minutes - you can log in again for a further 1 hour session".

Anyone got any advanced expertise with the scheduler?
Gil Fleming
Director
Fleming Technical Limited

You can't think about what you don't know - Mike Fidler
If you can't fight, wear a big hat - John S Fleming
The best way to have a good idea is to have lots of ideas - Linus Pauling
Gil Fleming

Re: Ensuring backup integrity

Postby John Middleton » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:12 pm

Gill

Have you considered utilising PowerShell? You wouldn't necessarily then need the Scheduler.

PowerShell works with objects, not text. Cmd.exe and other text-based shells only work with textual output of commands. PowerShell commands, on the other hand, work with .NET objects. Things that are annoyingly difficult, awkward, and/or complex in a Cmd.exe batch script (for example, date and time parsing) become surprisingly straightforward and simple in PowerShell.

There are dozens of example scripts on the Web you could adopt / modify.

BTW, I'm surprised you are still using Ff, bearing in mind some of the complex routines you run / require.

John Middleton
John Middleton

Postby Gil Fleming » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:31 am

John Middleton wrote:BTW, I'm surprised you are still using Ff, bearing in mind some of the complex routines you run / require.

John, I'm a chemist but got into DataEase in the very early days and became pretty expert at it, running courses for them when I started my own business. The move to ffenics was therefore a bit of a no-brainer, and its extensibility via external functions is a great feature. Having said that, the way that DSL is run is a huge disappointment and there is clearly no interest in ffenics from the people that write it.
Gil Fleming
Director

Gil Fleming

Postby Gil Fleming » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:50 am

John, if you were moving from ffenics, what would you choose (or have chosen)?
Gil Fleming
Director

Gil Fleming

Return to Ffenics 1.x