What happens if ...

For discussion related to Ffenics 2.0.

Moderators: Phil Winkler, Graham Smith, Pete Tabord

What happens if ...

Postby KjetilUrne » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:35 pm

Under the new license agreement, the software will be deactivated 30 days after the subscription expiry date. In case Database Software Ltd is no longer capable of fulfilling its obligations, subscribers should automatically be entitled to an unlimited version:

What happens if Database Software Ltd. is unable to support Ffenics?
In the event that, for whatever reason, Database Software Ltd. (authors of Ffenics) are unable to support and/or continue the development on the Ffenics product set, then all customers who have a then current licence subscription for Ffenics are automatically entitled (under terms of subscription agreement) to an unlimited user, perpetual licence, for the Ffenics product for which they have a current subscription.

I have difficulties understanding how this should happen "automatically" and will hesitate to put my data at any risk.

Team Ffenics: please convince me that you have a bullet proof plan on how to ensure that my data is not going to be locked down in the event of some kind of disaster in UK.
KjetilUrne

Re: What happens if ...

Postby KjetilUrne » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:04 pm

Surprised that no one bothered to answer this question in 3+ months. Is it really that difficult to answer?
KjetilUrne

Postby Adrian Jones » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:34 am

I don't know the answer, but am replying to keep you company :)
Adrian Jones

Postby andyclinton59 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:18 pm

Personally I can't see that Pete wouldn't take the time to publish a "release key" before winding up or even after if that ever happened.

However I find that selling something that people rely on so heavily when they have committed to it only as a SaaS is very inflexible.

Surely a better model would have been an one-off fee followed by an annual or monthly maintenance fee for those that want updates. This way the need for continuous revenue for the developers is satisfied at the same time as the security of the customers.

They can of course offer it as a SaaS too. One doesn't necessarily preclude the other.
andyclinton59

Postby KjetilUrne » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:54 am

Happy anniversary!

(half a year - no response)
KjetilUrne

Postby Adrian Jones » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:58 am

I think the birthday drinks are on you, K!
Adrian Jones

Postby andyclinton59 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:44 am

I feel that I am missing a step somewhere...

Is there an alternate information channel to/from Ffenics that I am not aware of?

Sometimes there is more than two weeks without any posts on this forum, ones it was over 6 weeks!

The latest "news" on the Website was 7th January!

The latest post on the Facebook Club was Phil Winkler wanting to give away a client in DFD (so nothing to do with Ffenics) on the 20th February.

It has been very quiet for a long time but with the build up to a new release (2.0) that might have been interpreted as theatrical, but now it is released and still Nothing...

Anyone that can enlighten me?
andyclinton59

Postby KjetilUrne » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:50 pm

andyclinton59 wrote:I feel that I am missing a step somewhere...

Is there an alternate information channel to/from Ffenics that I am not aware of?

Sometimes there is more than two weeks without any posts on this forum, ones it was over 6 weeks!

The latest "news" on the Website was 7th January!

The latest post on the Facebook Club was Phil Winkler wanting to give away a client in DFD (so nothing to do with Ffenics) on the 20th February.

It has been very quiet for a long time but with the build up to a new release (2.0) that might have been interpreted as theatrical, but now it is released and still Nothing...

Anyone that can enlighten me?

More statistics: the forum has 2370 topics. 67 or so - less than 3% - were active the past 12 months. Needless to point out which direction this is heading...
KjetilUrne

Postby Adrian Jones » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:17 pm

don't quite agree with that, Kjetil. The forum is at least 10 years old now, so we'd expect 10% a year?

However, the lack of any discussion, yet again, about this product is, well, can't really find the right words.

As some of you know, I'm involved with a music festival and I make sure we keep our FB page ticking over to grow followers and sell stuff. If I were Team Ff, I'd be looking at getting posts up here to stimulate debate, etc. Why they are happy with this silent I find bizarre.
Adrian Jones

Postby Graham Smith » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:02 pm

Hello all, long time no post...

While I am still listed as a moderator here, I am no longer active in this forum or in anything having to do with Ffenics. I'm now 95% retired and have only one client left and only use Ffenics to support that one client. I never moved past version 1.53 due to an issue with dates that was somewhat unique to me and would have required a substantial amount of (unpaid) work for me to adapt a database that originally was in DfD and had been "migrated" to DfW then on to Ffenics.

Ironically, 2.0 fixed that issue because I was able to provide Pete with a test database that demonstrated the problem as a separate issue and he was able to isolate it from other changes having to do with dates that in some ways obscured this particular problem. I say ironically, because by the time 2.0 came out, I was already 80% retired and it was simply impractical to introduce a new version of the program to what was a stable environment because there was nothing to gain.

In any case, I wanted to let you all know I haven't forgotten you. I'm just no longer active in this arena.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Postby Adrian Jones » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:47 am

We need a virtual bar up here.

Good to see you back, GS. Here's to that remaining 5%!
Adrian Jones

Postby Adrian Jones » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:47 am

Just took a look at the DataEase forum for the first time in a while.

I note that they have had over 40 topics posted so far this year by 27 unique original posters, and most of the ones I checked have been answered, albeit almost solely by 'DataEase'.

I know it winds up Pete that I mention 'the other side', but TEAM FFENICS, your continuing silence with regards to anything to do with your product online is pathetic.

I doubt DataEase has a bigger team than you, yet even they seem to take the time to respond in a public place to questions.

They may even make up their own OPS and do their own posts to show life, but at least they are doing it.

I don't care if its on this forum, on Facebook, on your own website, or in marketing emails, but please DO SOMETHING.

Other than simply DIE ...
Adrian Jones

Postby Mark Nicholas » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:44 pm

Might some lyrics from the early sixties help smooth things over?

Please, Please Me and Not Fade Away....
Mark Nicholas
Mark Nicholas

Postby KjetilUrne » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:29 pm

How about moving to the seventies & enjoy The Roaring Silence?
KjetilUrne

Postby Mark Nicholas » Thu May 11, 2017 11:55 pm

Let's break that silence and offer a suggestion.

How about an electronic version of the "dead man's handle" ? This type of safety mechanism exists on trains. If the driver does not press the handle for a while, the system considers he is absent or unwell and the brakes come on to stop the train.

For the electronic version, we could imagine a safe somewhere, maybe in the cloud. That safe contains the Ffenics Release Key. But the safe is locked, much like a deposit box in a bank vault. The user has a key, but the banker also has a key. The user can only unlock the deposit box if the banker lets him into the vault.

In this case, the vault will automatically open unless it is kept closed by Team Wales confirming their presence at pre-defined intervals (week, fortnight, month...) . If anything untoward happens and they cannot keep the vault closed, then vault opens up and users with the necessary passwords can retrieve the data to unlock the program.
Mark Nicholas
Mark Nicholas

Next

Return to Ffenics 2.0