DOES WEBELEMENTS WORK?

Moderators: Phil Winkler, Graham Smith, Pete Tabord

DOES WEBELEMENTS WORK?

Postby David Fazio » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:14 am

We are trying to get Web Elements installed on our Web Server running Windows 2008 64 bit. We have IIS working. The Web Server is a virtual server, we actually deploy Ffenics from a Windows 2008 server and the data is stored on a SAN. Do we need to in stall WebElements on the 2008 File Server instead of the Web Server? And do we need to install WebHub?

Any help getting this going will be great. We need to publish a small form and would like to do it in Ffenics as opposed to SQL and PHP

Thanks

David Fazio
David Fazio

Re: DOES WEBELEMENTS WORK?

Postby Pete Tabord » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:06 am

The web elements supplied free with a full Ffenics does work on XP/2003. It has two components, the publisher and the hub. You get a 1 user hub with the free one, you need to purchase an unlimited web hub to go live if you expect there to be multiple simultaneous users. Everything should go on the Web Server machine, which needs to see the application via a drive letter on whatever machine it resides.

There are instructions on the site, but I have a confession to make (be kind :oops: ). I don't know what the exact security settings are to make it work on Server 2008. The IIS interface has changed completely since XP and although I know Trina and Mark got it working on Vista / Server 2008 I haven't got any notes as to what was different - something to do with the IUSR stuff and permissions, I believe. See Mark's post here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1110

It's supposed to be a priority job here to work it out, but those darn customers keep wanting us to do stuff for them :wink: I know no programming changes were required because if they were I'd have known about them.
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Postby Graham Smith » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:07 pm

FWIW, I have been talking with Pete about this and am experimenting with it on Win 7. I am using it currently on an XP computer so know how to make it work on that platform.

But as Pete says, there have been a lot of changes in newer versions. For one thing the whole IIS installation has changed and while there used to be just one thing to install, there are now an entire page of components and options to choose from. Very frustrating.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Postby David Fazio » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:53 pm

Graham or Peter,

If you need access to my Windows 2008 Server to test WebElements please let me know. I have two techies home from school for the holidays with their primary focus to get WebElements working on 2008 and 2003 servers.
David Fazio

Postby Graham Smith » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:32 pm

David Fazio wrote:If you need access to my Windows 2008 Server to test WebElements please let me know.

It's really a matter of free time at this point. I can't spend a lot of billable hours messing around with something just to see if I can get it to work.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
Graham Smith

Postby Pete Tabord » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:01 pm

We have a 2008 server in house - a couple of them in fact. It's finding the time free from customer work for what is obviously going to be a serious investigation. We must have spent cumulatively a couple of weeks on it, but it has been in short bursts and we tend to have forgotten half of what we tried the previous time!
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Postby Pete Tabord » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:41 pm

OK. Andy T now has Web Elements working on Microsoft Server 2008, both 32 and 64 bit, using IIS 7.

Well done son!

Detailed instructions will follow.
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Postby Graham Smith » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:49 pm

Can I assume that this extends to Win 7? If so, that's going to solve a really big problem.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
Graham Smith

Postby benjji » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:40 pm

Pete Tabord wrote:OK. Andy T now has Web Elements working on Microsoft Server 2008, both 32 and 64 bit, using IIS 7.

=D>

Andy mentioned this to me the other day, this is very good news

I will be very interested in seeing this working in a longterm plan for our application !

(but, unfortunately not immediately !, other priorities shout louder !!)
benjji

Postby Pete Tabord » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:38 am

Graham Smith wrote:Can I assume that this extends to Win 7? If so, that's going to solve a really big problem.

I'm not sure, Graham. Win7 uses IIS 7.5, not IIS 7.

I'll have to get Andy to confirm whether he was using Server 2008(IIS 7) or Server 2008r2(IIS 7.5). I'm pretty sure it was the first one but I could be wrong.

The write up is on its way, but there is a lot of detail to check out. Of which this is just one!
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Return to Ffenics WebElements