Web Elements Installation Instructions for Server 2008

Moderators: Phil Winkler, Graham Smith, Pete Tabord

Web Elements Installation Instructions for Server 2008

Postby Pete Tabord » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:12 am

The instructions are attached. They should work on Vista and Win7 also, but have not yet been tested on those platforms.
Attachments
BriefWEintsall2008.pdf
These instructions have been tested on server 2008 and server 2008 r2, 32 and 64 bit versions.
(420.69 KiB) Downloaded 450 times
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Re: Web Elements Installation Instructions for Server 2008

Postby Graham Smith » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:30 pm

As written, these instructions contain settings that are not applicable to Windows 7. Without these, the instructions seem to be nearly the same as the old instructions. I'm going to try and pick through and see if I can find anything that might apply to Win7 and try it to see what happens.

<time passes>

Well, as far as I can see, this does not work with Win7. All of Step 4 pertains to the server product and has nothing to do with what's in Win7.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Postby Pete Tabord » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:34 pm

The settings are applicable to Windows 7. Although they may be in slightly different places. You just haven't realised all the stuff that's in Windows 7 :-)

You first need to carry out part I of step 4. You can't cherry pick, you have to do everything in order. In Win 7 I think you get at it through programs and features in the control panel rather than server->roles. The server interface does assume a more arcane level of knowledge.

The rest of Step 4 is done either at the command line, through the Run interface, or in the IIS management console, which is why we say to make sure you have the things in 4-I installed first.
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Postby Graham Smith » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:09 pm

The first part is the same as the regular install and I've already done that.

Server Manager is not in Win7 so there is nothing to do with that.

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\INETSRV\ASP.DLL doesn't exist.

The appcmd.exe command fails.

So, either something has gone wrong with the initial install, or there is something missing.

So, I'm really not sure what to do next.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
Graham Smith

Postby Graham Smith » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:53 pm

It would appear that by digging through some of the Windows Technet stuff on the interweb that at least some of the stuff in Step 4 can be installed manually if it's not already.

It's possible that the problem stems from all the changes in just what does and does not install with IIS in Win7 as compared to XP. It would help to have a guide to what needs to be installed rather than just guessing as I did when I installed this.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
Graham Smith

Postby Pete Tabord » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:47 am

The components listed in 4-I are Windows components. It _is_ the list of components you need installed. They are part of Windows 7. (At least , if your version of Windows 7 comes with IIS, I don't know if the home ones do.) I don't know if they are installed by default. I don't know what options you selected to install when you installed Windows either. How could I? That is why we ask you to check.

If you don't have them installed, as the instructions say, you need to install them. Because the following commands depend on them, which I would have thought was reasonably obvious. And that's why it tells you to check they are installed at that point in the process.

For example, if you have not installed ASP, then obviously ASP.DLL will not be available.

If you do not follow the instructions in the right order - that is the order in which they are set out - you will not get anywhere.
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Postby Graham Smith » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:24 pm

I'm sending an email with a more detailed explanation. As time permits, I'm going to try and uninstall everything and start all over again.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
Graham Smith

Postby TimBentley » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:11 pm

I was able to successfully install Web Elements on Server 2012 with these instructions, except that I also had to manually add the FFWEBPUB virtual directory.
TimBentley

Postby Pete Tabord » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:01 am

Well done Tim!
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Postby andy.tabord » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:26 am

If you want to change the directory that contains your database for testing purposes or using a remote DB this is possible by changing the location in IIS. To do this you would need to add a new virtual directory. Under your default website which has been created in the insttructions of setting up Web Elements, right click the website and create a new virtual directory. This directory doen't have to be on your machine but it does have to be accessable from the user you created as per the instructions.
andy.tabord

Return to Ffenics WebElements