Webelements - a suggestion

Moderators: Phil Winkler, Graham Smith, Pete Tabord

Re: Webelements - a suggestion

Postby webplusplus » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:41 pm

Graham Smith wrote:I think that there might be some other things that I can coax out of it if I just knew a bit more about how it worked inside.

BTW, WE core isn't a... hmm... rocket surgery ;-) Do you know what exactly would you like to know?
For almost every "complex" question there may be an answer that is clear, simple, and, last but not least, correct :-)

P.S. It seems that you disabled PM receipt, so I'm asking right here.
webplusplus

Postby Graham Smith » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:54 pm

webplusplus wrote:Quite right. So don't you think it may be better to discuss Ffenics WebElements in Ffenics WebElements subforum?

What I think is that you need to let people know who you are, what your connection to this program is, who you work for, and what your agenda is.

My supposition at this point is that you are someone who has a vested interest in other software. Based on that, I intend to ignore you and I suggest that others do the same.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Postby Fred Kingston » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:11 pm

It would help to know and understand who one is talking to... It speaks to that persons credibility... without a real name, you have none...
Fred Kingston

Postby webplusplus » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:28 pm

Graham,

so I can be sure that if I give a good advice, you definitely will not follow it? I should contact your competitors immediately then :-)

Actually you've just explained/demonstrated the way that led DataEase from "#2 RDBMS in the world" position to "Data-what???", haven't you?
webplusplus

Postby Fred Kingston » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:29 pm

You just don't get, do you?
Fred Kingston

Postby webplusplus » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:32 pm

Fred, it's technology-related forum. For almost any answer what is posted here, it should be really easy to verify if it is correct. And the answer's correctness is the only thing that matters. I do not post to "Philosophical Discussions" or "Open Talks", do I?
webplusplus

Postby Adrian Jones » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:58 pm

I think he's Pavel Volodin, and I'm guessing he might have worked at one time for rusoft, and therefore might possibly have had some involvement in developing web publisher?

Am I correct on at least one of those?
Adrian Jones

Postby Fred Kingston » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:03 pm

webplusplus wrote:Fred, it's technology-related forum. For almost any answer what is posted here, it should be really easy to verify if it is correct. And the answer's correctness is the only thing that matters. I do not post to "Philosophical Discussions" or "Open Talks", do I?

Really don't care what you do... You don't pass the first hurdle, so I don't look beyond that...
Fred Kingston

Postby andyclinton59 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:50 pm

As far as I remember I was screened before I was allowed to enter, and as this is a moderated forum, can someone just moderate him.

I think that any opinion is valid, but we should all be bold enough to voice our opinions with a full name.

We have had the "banter" discussion on here already, and it's great with a little humour, but when it become bickering and besting each other its not fun any more.

Web++
You are entitled to your opinions but on here you should only voice them if they are helpful not to make a point. This is not a place to make a score but to contribute.
andyclinton59

Postby Graham Smith » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:56 pm

andyclinton59 wrote:As far as I remember I was screened before I was allowed to enter, and as this is a moderated forum, can someone just moderate him.

I can but for now I prefer to wait for him/her to step up to the plate and state for the record who they are.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Postby webplusplus » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:45 pm

andyclinton59 wrote:As far as I remember I was screened before I was allowed to enter

It may sounds like a joke, but I was screened too.

andyclinton59 wrote:Web++
You are entitled to your opinions but on here you should only voice them if they are helpful not to make a point. This is not a place to make a score but to contribute.

Which one of my advices are you unhappy with? You already tried to use WE with IIS Express and found that it cannot make your life easier if you have one setup routine for XP/2003/Vista/2008/Win7/2008 R2? Wow, you're really system administration magician then, I posted that idea just few hours ago... :-) Or did you experience any troubles with running DEDOS in VirtualBox/FreeDOS environment? Or did you experience troubles reading my post about RFB\VNC ELF approach to Ff web enablement? But you aren't the only person on this forum, and, imagine that, some of others at least understood my idea :-)

Fred Kingston wrote: You don't pass the first hurdle

At least, Graham enabled private messages receipt for his account. A moderator who cannot be accessed via PM looks a bit strange :-) So I cannot say that I achieved absolutely no result :-)

Graham Smith wrote:
andyclinton59 wrote:can someone just moderate him.

I can

Just out of curiousity, can you please tell me what of the forum rules I violated? For obvious reason, I couldn't approve my registration myself and so I couldn't violate the one quoted by Fred :-) And it seems that there are no other rules related to display name, real name etc.

Graham Smith wrote:but for now I prefer to wait for him/her to step up to the plate and state for the record who they are.

It's not a big secret. As I just said some lines above, I was screened before my registration was accepted, and my e-mail should be visible for Administrators group ( and Adrian seems to be smart enough to take a look at my account details :-) ).

My only intention was to see that happened to WP/WE and, may be, to help someone with "secret" knowledge about WE internals as I have some spare (and nonetheless paid) time. Now I know that you "can't spend a lot of billable hours" trying to understand a tool that you use, but have enough time to start a crusade even if no Saracens are actually theating your Holy Forum. Don't think I can help you with this activity, so thanks a lot, wish you all the best, bye.

WBW,
Pavel.
webplusplus

Postby Gil Fleming » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:32 am

Bizarre.... Could he be an algorithm from Tron?
Gil Fleming
Director
Fleming Technical Limited

You can't think about what you don't know - Mike Fidler
If you can't fight, wear a big hat - John S Fleming
The best way to have a good idea is to have lots of ideas - Linus Pauling
Gil Fleming

Postby Gil Fleming » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:53 am

Adrian Jones wrote:I think he's Pavel Volodin

Adrian, is he Swedish?

His name anagrams to Pled in a Volvo.

...and Fred Kingston anagrams to Stonking Fred. Is anyone real any more?
Gil Fleming
Director
Fleming Technical Limited

You can't think about what you don't know - Mike Fidler
If you can't fight, wear a big hat - John S Fleming
The best way to have a good idea is to have lots of ideas - Linus Pauling
Gil Fleming

Postby Pete Tabord » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:32 am

I don't see what your problem is, guys. If Web++'s advice is any good, that's good. If it isn't, you'll only try it once. Or do we only allow one orthodoxy on here?

We have moderators, they are perfectly capable of applying sanctions if any rules are broken - as far as I can remember use of real name is not compulsory.
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Postby andyclinton59 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:20 am

webplusplus wrote:WBW,
Pavel.

I guess this means Way Back When and not White Boy Wasted... ;-)

It is just a little unsettling when someone that is obviously in the know won't play with open cards.

But now looking back on the contributions I will say Welcome Pavel and thanks for the contribution. No hard feelings and hope for the same.

So lets get this discussion back on the rails.

What is happening with Web and Ffenics? Is there/will there be any investment in the Web side and if so when can one expect to see something that works?

WebElements/WebPublisher is a non-starter so I hope that expanding/extending this product is not the plan. It might have been a noble idea to magically move DFW forms etc. onto the web "as is", but Web is a different format and a different medium.

It is not magic we are asking for, just a way of accessing tables/data in Ffenics in a Web Fashion...
andyclinton59

PreviousNext

Return to Ffenics WebElements