Web elements

Moderators: Phil Winkler, Graham Smith, Pete Tabord

Web elements

Postby SamT » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:50 pm

Hi All,

Does anyone use WebElements successfully. I am looking to use it for shop floor data capture in our factory using fields time on
time off
job number
operation number
quantity.

This data will real time update jobs through the factory.

I seam however to fail at the large stage as i choose the Tables and aspect and reports I want to publish I ge thte welcome screen but when I choose a aspect and submit I get "the website cannot display the page HTTP 500 INTERNAL SERVER ERROR?

Getting a little frustrated now !

Thanks

Sam
SamT

Re: Web elements

Postby Pete Tabord » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:32 am

With that error message it is likely to be a permissions problem with IIS. Unfortunately trying to solve it is likely to be frustrating, since the way of setting the permissions varies from server to server depending not only on which version of Windows server you have but which options you chose when the server was installed. On some occasions we've ended up reinstalling the server to get a clean start.

At one time you could build a test system and install it locally, but that's no longer possible due to Microsoft changes - it has to be published to a server.

Have you got the latest version of the installation instructions?
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Postby SamT » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:32 am

Hi Pete,
We are using Version 3 date 15/05/2013 is this the latest version ?

Thanks

Sam
SamT

Postby Graham Smith » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:47 pm

What platform are you running it on?

I have it running in one location, but it's strictly as a way of looking up information - it's not interactive. The biggest issue I have is that we were never successful in getting it to run reliably on anything post WinXP / Server2003. The problem is that MS made some massive changes to how IIS and other related tech works. I spent days and days trying things and bouncing ideas back and forth with Pete and did finally get it to run. But it was glitchy as hell.

As a result, I can't help much. Server 500 error is Microsoft's way of saying, "Something went wrong but we haven't the foggiest notion what that something is. Good luck."
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Postby SamT » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:52 pm

Hi Graham,
FFenics 1.63 sits on its own Server 2008 R2 box. The company network is Small Business Server 2011.
My servers are set up and maintained by a trusted third party who used the installation details supplied by Ffenics and a number of phone calls to them. I am at little wooly on the Server set side.
Thanks

Sam
SamT

Postby Graham Smith » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:57 am

SamT wrote:FFenics 1.63 sits on its own Server 2008 R2 box. The company network is Small Business Server 2011.

So WebElements is installed on the 2008 server. I know that Ffenics was working on getting this working. The last time I worked on it was in 2013:
http://www.ffenics.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1110

You may have to start by looking into what that error is telling you from a Microsoft perspective. It's likely not WebElements specific so they odds of finding a fix are much better if you try and research the error and track it back. Somewhere there is an error log that will tell you what's wrong.

Be sure you have all the permissions setup correctly - that's been a big issue in the past.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Return to Ffenics WebElements