More documentation

Moderators: Phil Winkler, Graham Smith, Pete Tabord

More documentation

Postby Phil Winkler » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:22 pm

The readme.txt that accompanies 1.5 WebElements isn't very complete in its explanations and guidance. Is there something else available? Using XP Pro, but the last two paragraphs simply do not apply to my system. The Users{computername} Properties does not even have a Security tab.

What is the virtual FFWEBPUB directory? Is it C:\FFWEBPUB where the program gets installed?

When I run WEBTRAN I get an error: Cannot retrieve data from IIS Metabase.

This enter install and setup process less then intuitive. :cry:
Phil Winkler
PLM Consulting, Inc.
pwinkler@plmconsulting.com
Phil Winkler

Re: More documentation

Postby Mark Povey » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:57 pm

Hi Phil,

From the error messages you are receiving it seems you either do not have IIS installed or that you are using a user account that does not have sufficient privileges.

To install IIS on WinXP: Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > Add/Remove Windows Components > Select IIS and install.

Do you use simple file sharing by any chance? This would be one reason that the security tabs do not show up, to turn off simple file sharing: Open Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View (tab) > scroll down to the bottom > Uncheck "use simple file sharing" and apply.

Running the WebTransformer set up needs be done with an account with administrator privileges.

Best regards,

Mark
Mark Povey

Postby Phil Winkler » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:21 pm

Thanks, Mark,

Those were some of the things I needed to do. Graham and I got it almost sorted out. Clearly, the sequence of steps is critical and should be in the readme. Certainly every machine with Windows on it can't be set up the same way and many of the steps are less then intuitive and are found in many places.

So, Webtran now runs, I publish several forms from the Herbarium app, I get the nice menu, but when I try to open an aspect and click on first record I get an error about it not being initialized. I even brought the app local rather then on the server thinking that might be a problem. I certainly have admin rights.

Sigh......two steps forward, one back.
Phil Winkler
PLM Consulting, Inc.
Phil Winkler

Postby Graham Smith » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:59 pm

I managed to get WebElements up fairly smoothly on my laptop, but I had run a number of tests with WebPublisher in the past and had a bit more insight. Never-the-less, even for me, the setup instructions still lacked details that left me fumbling around. Further, I believe that at least some of the problems Phil is still having relate to the fact that he has a nearly new install of XP SP3 whereas I have an older SP2 install. And some of the "improvements" in SP3 have proven to be a real hassle for people.

One of the fundamental issues with setting up WebElements is that it involves a number of things that are not normally done on a workstation. For one thing, IIS has to be setup and configured along with guest user rights and I suspect that there are different issues with this depending on which the half dozen most common versions of Windows you have.

While it is clear that WebElements is not intended for use by a novice computer (or FFenics) user, that does not negate the need for better documentation. I have around 35 pages of WebPublisher documentation while there only appear to be around 2 for WebElements.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Postby Trina Tabord » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:11 pm

Hi Graham,

The WebElements documentation is available in PDF format in the Support section of the website here

http://www.ffenics.com/downloads/WebElements.pdf

Regards
Trina
Trina Tabord
Database City Limited
trinat@ffenics.com
http://www.ffenics.com
Trina Tabord

Postby Phil Winkler » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:26 pm

It would have been very nice if this was included in the zip file along with the readme.txt.
Phil Winkler
PLM Consulting, Inc.
Phil Winkler

Return to Ffenics WebElements