Programs refusing to run after machine crash

Moderators: Phil Winkler, Graham Smith, Pete Tabord

Programs refusing to run after machine crash

Postby Pete Tabord » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:46 am

Just something I've wasted best part of 24 hours on :-)

Came down to start work yesterday morning and my main work computer had crashed overnight - don't know why.

Powered off and rebooted - everything seemed all right but certain programs - Outlook, DE, FF - would hang soon after startup. Others worked OK.

Tried numerous things - even got Outlook running after starting it in safe mode - but FF (and DE, and several other things like the utility that came with my camera) refused to work, any version - all would hang on opening a document.

Tried checking the DLL cache with

Code: Select all
SFC /scannow

at the command prompt because under the debugger it seemed FF was stopping when it tried to access a system DLL. No joy. Looked in Event Log - Server service was throwing errors on startup and failing. Eventually came across a bit of advice on't t'interweb to do these two at the command prompt:

netsh winsock reset catalog

(resets winsock entries)

netsh int ip reset reset.log hit

(reset TCP/IP stack)

That's done the trick! Evidently Windows DLL management is partly dependent on the Server service running, and it won't find DLL's in a different directory without it.
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Re: Programs refusing to run after machine crash

Postby Graham Smith » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:08 pm

If it's this hard for people who (basically) know what they are doing...
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Postby Phil Winkler » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:57 pm

But, but, what's a normal person to do when this happens? :roll:

Heck, when we installed Server 2008 at the NSS Office the Task Scheduler will no longer run a batch or cmd file to start DFD. Even trying to manually Run the program within TS will not work.
Phil Winkler
PLM Consulting, Inc.
pwinkler@plmconsulting.com
Phil Winkler

Postby Pete Tabord » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:26 am

The reality is, I think, that computers have gone in the direction of TV's and stuff, even cars, and the ordinary person can't fix them. I can't fix them half the time any more.

It's all wrong. Because it takes away the point of the general purpose computer that is adaptable to what you want to do with it. Although on the one hand you can buy thousands of apps to do things you never thought you could do (and probably never wanted to either), things you could do in the early 80's like get your BBC micro to run your model railway or the electrics in your house are next-to-impossible.

In short, they've become a commodity rather than a tool. Thanks Bill. :(
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Postby Phil Winkler » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:58 pm

I couldn't agree more, Pete. Task Scheduler in Server 2008, Win 7, etc. has become a monstrosity of confusing options and the UAC system is simply a nightmare.
Phil Winkler
PLM Consulting, Inc.
pwinkler@plmconsulting.com
Phil Winkler

Postby Pete Tabord » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:13 am

My Andy's been on a course for Active Directory on Server 2008. He's very pleased with the course and says he understands it - but now I can barely understand one sentence in three he says. :D

But people buy the stuff anyway - presumably it doesn't concern them that they are completely in the hands of professionals when things go wrong.

I was brought up with the idea that if you can't fix it you shouldn't have it. I've even fixed the odd TV in my life. So I greeted the original wave of business PC's in the 80's with open arms - at last, I thought, here people can actually take charge and get the machine to do what they want rather than what IBM or Burroughs or DEC want.

Well since the end of the 80's, the mega-corps have been gradually taking control back and we are more-or-less right back where we were in 70's - no real control over factors which are vital to our lives and businesses. But this time around it seems the way across everything - ever tried to fix a modern car? People are becoming passive drones who are perfectly happy as long as screens look pretty and they are fed plenty of computer games and reality shows.

/rant
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Postby Graham Smith » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:39 pm

I went from using Win95 directly to WinNT. NT was, in my opinion, the single biggest thing that MS got right - ever. Yes, they built it on the back of OS2 and screwed that alliance in the process (more's the pity for that), but the concept was sound. It was one core product with three personalities - workstation, server, and domain controller.

That latter bit is where things went wrong and that's to blame on MS Tech Ed department. We were a MS "partner" at the time and I went to a couple networking courses and they were teaching people to ALWAYS install the server version as a domain controller. I got into a heated debate with the instructor until it became clear that he really didn't know that much and was just repeating what he had been told.

And that's what I ran into everywhere until I finally got the hint. MS had the stand-alone server option only as a way to put additional servers in the network. They wanted everyone, even in a one server network, to use the domain controller. I had it more or less confirmed later by someone who should know that MS had realized that training was a cash cow and why train something simple when you could make much more training something complicated.

And then the wheels fell off the bus. MS started churning out paper experts who had been to a series of classes and had no real practical knowledge. I dealt with several in the 90's and they cost their customers (and employers) hours and hours of needless grief by making something simple into something hard.

Then with Win2000 came Active Directory and the concepts of network profiles and the ability to lock down the desktops and take control away from the users got the tool that it needed. And we've been screwed ever since.

From, "My History of the World", by Graham Smith
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Postby benjji » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:09 pm

Graham Smith wrote:Then with Win2000 came Active Directory and the concepts of network profiles and the ability to lock down the desktops and take control away from the users got the tool that it needed. And we've been screwed ever since.

but with my 'domain admin' hat on, I love the way that AD takes control of the workstations
it stops the majority of users poking around and changing settings that they don't need to alter
a user normally changes something on a workstation, but doesn't know what they did to put it back ! bloody users !!
benjji

Postby Pete Tabord » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:41 pm

But that simply points out that even the workstations are overcomplicated for most purposes :-)

The biggest mistake with Windows has come to be that its GUI and OS are inseparable. Users _should_ be able to tweak their working environment without affecting the basic machine functionality.

Coupled with its lack of native support for virtualisation, technically it should not have a long term future - but I bet we are stuck with it, just like the conventional internal combustion engine.

There is so much commitment to it that we will just keep pushing its limits instead of inventing anything new.
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Postby lindseynicole010 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:34 am

Business surveillance camera is a propelled method for securing your representatives and business against burglary, vandalism, or shoplifting. For the most part, surveillance cameras are utilized to keep gatecrashers from softening up. Furthermore, on the off chance that that couldn't be anticipated, at that point the video recorded by the camera can be utilized for the recognizable proof of the offenders. Different zones, where business surveillance cameras can be utilized effectively are medicate related wrongdoings, cheats, and independent companies. Some expert organizations utilize business surveillance camera as a piece of representative observing framework. It is for the most part observed that this kind of checking process, builds efficiency in workers.
Thanks& regards,
Lindsey Nicole
Security Cameras Toronto | Security Cameras Vancouver
lindseynicole010

Postby Gil Fleming » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:05 am

Lindsey, I bet you can see me but i can't see you....... :geek:
Gil Fleming
Director
Fleming Technical Limited

You can't think about what you don't know - Mike Fidler
If you can't fight, wear a big hat - John S Fleming
The best way to have a good idea is to have lots of ideas - Linus Pauling
Gil Fleming

Postby KjetilUrne » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:35 pm

Don't make fun of those who are bringing life to the forum, Gil ;)
KjetilUrne

Return to General