Application Status - application form & document informa

Moderators: Phil Winkler, Graham Smith, Pete Tabord

Application Status - application form & document informa

Postby Charles Taylor » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:32 pm

Hi folks,

As a developer in the dim and distant passed - you know whats coming - yes DFD (groan ...) - there were two very useful system reports that I used on a regular basis.

The first was the shF9 print, evoked during form design that would produce a form layout (limited use due to DOS ctrl characters etc.) and a simple table listing the field descriptions - name, length required,unique etc.

Now I am aware that I can produce a report that proffers Document definition, Form layout, Object definitions and Scripts, but having produced a few of these I have to say that their usefulness is very limited. I find it irksome to wade through reams of paper to locate what is often simple information such as field name, length, object name and so on. I am not interested in the details of every line, box, button etc. There may well be times when I am but for the most part a simplified summary would be most useful, on the lines of the DFD style report mentioned above.

Of course I may well be able to get this information already and have not seen it in which case I am sure someone will point me in the right direction.
Charles Taylor
Peak Computer Services
Charles Taylor

Postby Pete Tabord » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:01 pm

Hi Charles

If you just want a quick summary of field definitions, try application->more information->data definition. You can use the reporting tools on the information there if you want print-outs. There's an object analysis there too.

The print document definition has defied several attempts to make it useful - these are perhaps a better alternative, and of course you can have them open while you are working on the document - the bigger screen the better :)

Regards
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Postby Graham Smith » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:19 pm

Most of the required information is in the $ files. I used this to create my own set of reports to list out form and procedure definitions as well as reports to find fields in both forms and procedures, etc.

I also have a set of procedures to keep track of changes and create install files.

There is also a tutorial app that I have been working on.

I keep promising myself that one of these days I'll get it all together and put it up on our web site. But you know how that goes - the client work comes first and they don't need this stuff.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Return to General