Solid State Hard disk

Moderators: Phil Winkler, Graham Smith, Pete Tabord

Solid State Hard disk

Postby Adrian Jones » Wed May 06, 2015 11:17 am

A propos nothing in particular, one of the best things I did recently was to invest in a solid state hard disk, which just transforms how my PC works.

Thanks to Tom Allen (ex of McNair) for this and several other very useful suggestions (e.g. Visual Studio 2013 Community Edition).

I thought I was getting a solid state when I bought this PC, but turns out that HP marketing was being economic with the truth. I then experienced the worst customer service I have ever had, and as a result will not touch HP with a barge pole.
Adrian Jones

Re: Solid State Hard disk

Postby Graham Smith » Wed May 06, 2015 6:46 pm

I extended the useful life of my old(ish) laptop quite a bit when I upgraded to a SSD. Easy as pie to do and in under an hour, my new drive was up and running with everything transferred from my old drive.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Re: Solid State Hard disk

Postby John Middleton » Thu May 21, 2015 2:48 pm

Once upon a time – music media had to spin round and round so that we could enjoy our favourite sounds – whether this was vinyl records, eight track cartridges (remember them?), cassettes, CDs or DVDs – they had to go round and round. Then along came MP3s (or equivalent) and suddenly we could reproduce high quality music from a static file. I have a memory stick plugged into the music system of my car with over a thousand tunes stored – doing away with the need for a CD changer – and providing far more choice.
So when solid state hard drives came along I thought that the days of hard drive failure due to mechanical issues, such as platter degrade, motor failure, pick up misalignment, etc. where behind us.

Wrong!

Without a doubt the read/ write rate of the new drives is considerably better than the old spinners (PCs with these fitted can really fly!) – but (and it’s a big but!) there is only a limited number of times that you can write data to the SSD before it gives up the ghost – caput – without warning.
So SSDs are neither use nor ornament for heavy usage database applications which make constant writes to the HHD. Neither are they any use for network operations which require file amendments.

Best policy is to put the OS onto the SSD and use a sata for storage / applications.

And by the way – I still enjoy the warm sound and a bit of clicking from a vinyl LP!

John Middleton
John Middleton

Return to General