Odd Importing Issue

Moderators: Phil Winkler, Graham Smith, Pete Tabord

Odd Importing Issue

Postby Adrian Jones » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:18 am

Hi, hit -- and solved -- a strange import issue.

I'm dragging data out of a DE DOS 5 app using Datagrab and some other bits and pieces, basically to create tilde delimited variable length text files.

some of these I've opened up with notepad to do a bit of further changing before saving and importing into Ff.

In two of them, the first field in the file would not import. I stared at the data opened in Notepad for ages, just in case I was missing something, but as far as I could see, the col names matched, etc.

Anyway, long story short, there were three high ASCII chars to the left of the first column name. I couldn't see them in Notepad, but could in a hex editor. I think they got there using Notepad (I was able to edit them out using the hexeditor and then notepad++). Because they were there, I assume Ff thought the col name included these chars.

Anyone else seen this? They were not in every one of these files, just a couple. I edited more than just these two in Notepad.
Adrian Jones

Re: Odd Importing Issue

Postby Paul Nelson » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:42 am

Hi Adrian

We use to experience this quite frequently when checking and altering php files using Notepad. As soon as they were uploaded the page generated an error.

We switched to Notepad++ to avoid this.

We now routinely check any flat file with a HEX Editor to check for these three chars.

It is a bit of a pain - but I have yet to find an automatic way to do the check.

Paul
Paul Nelson

Re: Odd Importing Issue

Postby Adrian Jones » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:15 pm

Thanks, Paul.

I've just restarted the exporting/importing routine and it is definitely notepad that adds these three chars to the start of the file.

I had previously and erroneously assumed that Notepad was a safe way to edit text files -- as you say, I'll stick to Notepad ++ instead from now on!
Adrian Jones

Return to General