Rectangle Object Properties & Restoring Deleted Recs

Moderators: Phil Winkler, Graham Smith, Pete Tabord

Re: Rectangle Object Properties & Restoring Deleted Recs

Postby Charles Taylor » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:57 am

Moreover, if there are subrecords associated with the deleted record, in my view it is the users resposibility to "locate" the associated records and restore/undelete them one by one. I am not proposing a full blown facility here, but merely a simple one record change to status before reorganisation since the record is de fact still in the table. I know of the issues wrt to uniqueness etc. ie if the user has reallocted a key etc. It is the users resposibility to manage all of that. I never widely broadcast the fact that you could restore records in the old DOS versions. But it sometimes saved a great deal of time restoring data from backups etc. if used carefully and sparingly.
Charles Taylor
Peak Computer Services
Charles Taylor

Postby Pete Tabord » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:31 pm

if used carefully and sparingly.

Yes, quite, which is why we don't want it necessarily staring people in the face. It's OK for a knowledgeable user to say

Moreover, if there are subrecords associated with the deleted record, in my view it is the users resposibility to "locate" the associated records and restore/undelete them one by one.

but we can't quite take as relaxed an attitude as that. We have to try and provide some safeguards against naive users making wrong assumptions.
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Postby Pete Tabord » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:37 pm

Hi Adrian

Yes, I was thinking along those lines ''Show Deleted Records' available only to high level users, or some such. But I'll have to see what fits.

Being able to go to a record by number does have its uses too, but again the problem is not to create an expectation that the 'record number' is more than it is - it's a convenient shortcut, not part of the data!
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Postby Graham Smith » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:10 pm

Pete Tabord wrote:Yes, I was thinking along those lines ''Show Deleted Records' available only to high level users, or some such.

That's along the lines of something we discussed way back when - possibly even during DE7 development.

If I were trying to define something, I would say it should only be available to a high level user in a form accessed from the catalog. Something like a toggle that would display deleted records in red when viewed in table view.

Basically, this is one of those "oh sh*t" things that you really need when you need it but otherwise never think about. Kind of like a fire extinguisher :P
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Previous

Return to General