Intermitent Delays

Moderators: Phil Winkler, Graham Smith, Pete Tabord

Intermitent Delays

Postby Peter Wilson » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:27 pm

We have a niggling issue in our main application that we migrated from DE.

The way I set the system up originally in DE6 was to have a series of menus when a 'menu' was a valid document. Then we went to 7 which did not have menus so I created forms that acted as menus using buttons. These have all come across fine.

When I log in I go to the catalog and then select the main menu if I want to use the data as distinct from doing any coding.

When I then select one of the 'menu' options- it could take me to a form or to another menu I get varying responses, and this appears to be common to other users on my system. It sometimes takes as long as 45 seconds to open the form/menu- which seems very long when you are using it. The strange thing is that it is not consistent- it can be on any of the buttons, doesn't always happen and once it has happened the first time does not happen again for some time, even if you exit and then go back in. If you stay inactive in ffenics for some time it might happen again. Basically there is no pattern other than it is most likely to happen when you first go in the program. I checked this morning and we had 7 users logged on to the application so I dont think it is contention because of the number of active users . I realise that problems like this are the hardest to tie down, but can you shed any light on it?
Peter Wilson

Re: Intermitent Delays

Postby Robert Osinski » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:09 pm

Peter,

I think the first thing I would try is to reorganize the system form $ARDLRegistry$. This form has a tendency to accumulate a lot of unnecessary stuff in DE especially on a form/aspect that has a lot of scripting. The migration may have brought that garbage with it.

HTH
Robert Osinski

Postby Peter Wilson » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:56 pm

Thanks Bob. I tried your suggestion but it did not make any difference.

Peter
Peter Wilson

Postby Robert Osinski » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:09 pm

OK...how do you have these 'Menu' aspects set up? Are you using buttons or a text object with a script on the 'clicked' event?

The way I do it is the latter and I've never experienced what you describe with Ffenics. My suggestion goes back to DE 6.x but I figured that maybe Ff has the same issues.

Let me explain what I do exactly. That way you can try it and see if it makes a difference.

text object: named "ARR".
text = "Accounts Receivable Report" (no quotes)
OML script on 'clicked' event:
Code: Select all
run document "p_Accts_Rec" .

on the 'Mouse Enter' event I code:
arr.font.italic := 1 .
arr.font.under := 1 .
arr.redraw := 1 .

on the 'Mouse Exit' event I code:
arr.font.italic := 0 .
arr.font.under := 0 .
arr.redraw := 1 .

That way the user can tell when the menu selection has focus.

Try doing it that way and let me know if it makes a difference.
Robert Osinski

Postby Peter Wilson » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:28 am

Hi Bob. I do only use them as standard button with actions. I have to say that we did not experience any problem with DE, and the fact that it is intermittent on ffenics is strange. What is consistent is that once it has caused a delay once you cant then make it happen again even if you exit and reenter the program. It only happens again after a period of time (not sure how long because I dont measure it). I have tried it on other machines and it look as though it is only happening on my pc so it may well be something to do with my settings.

Regards

Peter
Peter Wilson

Postby Graham Smith » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:05 pm

Peter,

Problems like this are often to be found on the network. Your description sounds like a locking issue - as in waiting for a lock to open a file. This is reinforced by the detail that ones a document has been opened, it seems to reopen faster unless Ffenics has been idle for some time. This points to caching.

What are the details of your network (e.g. workstations, server, etc)?

If you are running antivirus software on the server, have you excluded the database data directory? It does not normally need to be scanned.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Postby Peter Wilson » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:39 pm

Thanks Graham, we will do some tests.

Peter
Peter Wilson

Postby Pete Tabord » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:50 pm

Could be the Windows paging file - it will page out bits of the operating system to the page file, and they will stay there unless they are needed, so it often only happens once per session. You can check if this is the cause using Windows task manager. There isn't much you can do about it except increasing the amount of RAM in the machine and making sure your pagefile is contiguous. In the old days we would play with page file settings, but that doesn't now seem to have much effect, however, if you want to try it there is extensive advice here:

http://www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm

Note that Windows (XP at least) starts paging things out way before you have used all of available 'real' memory. Ffenics is substantially larger in terms of memory footprint than DE 6.52, but it still isn't all that big. But XP itself really needs a minimum of 384 and preferably 512mB to work smoothly, and it's getting bigger with every automatic upgrade :(

Regards
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Postby Peter Wilson » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:59 pm

Thanks for all the advice. The delay is inconvenient but not life threatening and I can probably live with having to wait for 45 seconds every now and then! So thanks to everyone who has offered advice, but I think we will put this topic to bed now.

Regards

Peter
Peter Wilson

Return to General