Preferred Method

Moderators: Phil Winkler, Graham Smith, Pete Tabord

Preferred Method

Postby Nigel » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:44 pm

Assuming I have a table of customers, I might want to view, amend or add a new customer.
Is it best to have a form for the main database table and aspects for each of the possible requirements of view, amend and new ?
Is it better to have one aspect and this can have user selectable options for the three choices ?
Sorry for the dumb questions.
Nigel

Re: Preferred Method

Postby Adrian Jones » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:12 pm

Hi Nigel,

It depends on what you want to do, but my minimum recommendation for stuff you want to put in front of a client or member of staff is a form to create and manage the data side, and a single aspect to view, add and update, where you concentrate on getting it to work for those functions. (i.e. buttons, labels, layout, etc).

If you want 'view' to mean 'read-only', then you should create a second read-only aspect. The simplest way to do this is to copy your existing entry aspect, go to document properties, and check the prevent data-entry option.

You don't really need separate aspects for adding and updating, although you may have a business need to make the separation very clear, or there might be certain things that happen when you first enter (such as a validation routine) that aren't needed when you update.

It also depends a bit on how you intend to navigate to your existing clients. One of the beauties of Ff/DE is that you can use the same aspect to search, view, add and update, and if that works for you, why create more work. If you want more control over these functions, then you can do that, too!

Make sense?
Adrian Jones

Postby Graham Smith » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:33 pm

There are a few specialized cases where you would want separate aspects as you describe, but they would have to be very special. IOW, if you have something specific in mind, then what might that be? Otherwise, I'd say no need.

I do prefer to keep my forms for the developer and use aspects for the users, but that's based on years of doing things a specific way for specific reasons that may or may not apply to others. But it does go to illustrate how special needs can influence design.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Postby Nigel » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:16 pm

Ok, so if I use one aspect, how do I then make restrictions so someone could simply view and search for information without fear of affecting data ?
In Delphi, I'd have a Form with buttons with the options and clicking the button would take you to the next form (now aspect) with the form set in either read or write mode.
Nigel

Postby Graham Smith » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:57 am

Nigel,

In the document properties of an Aspect, there is a Prevent Data Entry checkbox.

But I'm still not clear what you are seeking to do here. You cannot "accidentally" change information - you have to make the changes then save the changes.

If it's a matter of allowing some people to make changes and not others, you can use security levels for that.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Return to General