Windows 64bit is Here to Stay (and DOS is dead)

Windows 64bit is Here to Stay (and DOS is dead)

Postby Graham Smith » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:37 pm

Well, it seems that Microsoft has decided that it's time to push the 64bit version - hard. Phil went to BestBuy the other yesterday to get Debe a laptop and every one they sell now comes with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit! No downgrades available. As techies, this makes about as much sense as putting racing controls on a 4 cylinder 110 HP car. Most of these computers only had 2-3 GB of memory and a Celeron or low AMD processor, which means that the 64bit version gives them nothing extra. At first we thought it must just be BestBuy but after checking other retailers, it was the same thing. And the desktops look to be the same.

I just don't get the logic. Is MS trying to force the transition so they will only have a single code base? They have little else to gain as recent versions of Office will run on either version. Of course a lot of other software won't, but that's never been an issue for MS.

One thing is for sure, this means the death of most DOS programs since Win64 doesn't have the NTVDM kernel. And a lot of older Windows software won't run either. I know that Ffenics will work and DataEase 7.x might but I'm not sure about DataEase 6.5 or older.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Re: Windows 64bit is Here to Stay (and DOS is dead)

Postby Phil Winkler » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:59 pm

Graham mentioned Sun's VirtualBox http://www.virtualbox.org/ as a possible solution to the 64 bit dilemma. After all, look how many years ago the world said DOS is dead and yet we still always managed to find a work around. Same with the demise of parallel ports and the advent of USB ports.
Phil Winkler
PLM Consulting, Inc.
pwinkler@plmconsulting.com
Phil Winkler

Return to News