Creating An Aspect

Creating An Aspect

Postby Adrian Jones » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:11 pm

Just uploaded a (near) silent video on creating an aspect: click here

Not a complete work, but something I put together back in February. Didn't post it as Ithought it needed a voice over (it still does), and the time on screen of certain sections needs to be longer. But in reviewing what I have got lying around on my PC, thought I'd put it up anyway in lieu of a 100% finished product.

The aspect is built using the FFulcrum demonstration application, which you can also download from the same page. In fact, it is a step-by-step recreation of one of the documents in that demo.

Key factors include:
    * The use of the Query button on the New Document dialog. Everyone either hits enter or clicks OK, and by-pass the Query By Model dialog where you can build all the data requirements, subforms, filtering, sorting, grouping, even summary values, in a few clicks.
    * Selecting the basics of what you want for the main form from the layout dialog, and then repeating this for all your subforms.

Anyway, see what you think. Please get in touch with comments and questions.
Adrian Jones

Re: Creating An Aspect

Postby Phil Winkler » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:07 pm

I liked it. Very nicely done and an excellent demo of Ffenics' rapid development capabilities.
Phil Winkler
PLM Consulting, Inc.
pwinkler@plmconsulting.com
Phil Winkler

Postby Graham Smith » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:49 pm

I think you need to slow down quite a bit. I know what you are doing but even I am having trouble following you. This is where the narration will come in handy. Even if you don't record it, a narration helps set the pace.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Postby Adrian Jones » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:16 pm

I agree, Graham, but it means mastering Camtasia, which doesn't provide easy tools for this.

I didn't post this when I created it because I felt it incomplete, but equally, better to have something going over the steps than nothing at all (with an aim to improving later, I hasten to add).
Adrian Jones

Return to News